DSX Tremolo picking critique

here is my tremolo picking excerpt

I just got to synch up the right hand i think

3 Likes

Looks and sounds great! Now that you have killer picking mechanic with great speed, I would slow things down when working on syncing up the fretting hand. Work on four-to-six-note chunks, preferably single string stuff. But make sure that you just slow down the picking hand speed without changing mechanics or doing some exaggerated motions for slow speeds.

And also, this looks like a DSX motion so if you practise any string changes, be sure to do them after downstrokes. This will ensure that you can keep the same mechanic when going at full speed.

Looking forward to see your progress!

2 Likes

Seconded, this looks and sounds great! Thanks for posting. Simple repeating single-string patterns with accents on the initial note is how you get the hand synchronization happening.

2 Likes

thank you both for the feedback its pretty cool when i can do what i thought i could never do. I think I focused quite a bit on my picking hand and my fret hand fell back so got to work on it.

feels great doesn’t it!!!

1 Like

Wow that’s some very fast picking!

Since the DSX motion is already happening, could he not start directly with repeating patterns on two strings that always change strings after a downstroke? Just because 2 strings tend to be more musical/less boring than one, in my opinion (I realise this is personal preference/depends on the pattern though).

Or do you think there is a definite advantage in using the single string for coordination practice?

PS: I do recall that my first fast picking pattern was the highway star one-string run, so in a way I followed exactly your suggested approach.

1 Like

I’m actually doing two string sets now. I’m working on the overlapping sixes as well as what I call the back and forth where i go fingers 4,2,1 then 2,4 on the same string and switch to the next string and do 1,2,1 which is the same as Adeshirs line i think. But I have started doing the 1242 and 1343 and thereverse thing in groups of four on one string to get my hands to synch better. All of this of course is not as fast the trem stuff.

I don’t want to doom anyone to playing boring stuff either, and in general I think the “basket” approach of trying lots of things produces the best results. This is the whole “interleaved” or “random” practice approach. And while it’s not clear to me that the science is really specific on the motor skills acquisition aspect of this, my guess is that skill acquisition is enhanced by trying a mix of different things while attempting to learn those things.

So sure, if someone can interleave and attempt the string change stuff even before the single-string stuff is super solid, maybe that will feed back to the single-string stuff. We’re not computers and very few of us probably learned by totally mastering one thing before moving to the next.

2 Likes

Excellent man really good work
I imagine with some synchronised fret hand patterns you’ll be burning that fret board!
You could try syncing the old Yngwie single string 6 lick !

1 Like