DT, John Petrucci - As I am solo picking

Hey guys,

I have ,since the dawn of time, struggled with a very specific passage of the As I am solo by Dream Theater (John Petrucci). The passage is the ascending pattern which starts at 6:26

Even though I’m familiar with two-way pick slanting… I just can’t wrap my head around being able to do it so effortlessly. I did my own try at the solo 6 years ago, I hope I would do slightly better today but that particular passage still kills me and I can’t play it up to speed.

Anyone have any tips? Exercises? Maybe one of you can film yourself playing this particular ascending pattern? Any help is greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Not at all a bad attempt I would say :slight_smile:

Do you have a tab or lesson that shows this particular run? Are you aware of which notes/passages trip you up? From the video you seem a primary DSX player (escaped downstroke) , but correct me if I’m wrong!

1 Like

Thanks! I gave it my best at the time : ) And thank you for responding!

Sorry, I have to revise the terms used around here, DSX? I definitely naturally have a downward pickslant!

Slightly spammy link, hope it will work. The sequence starts with 13-12-11 on the low e-string and I start with a downward pickstroke and I’m doing fine until 15-14-13 on the g-string and then I always mess up again reaching the 18-17-16 on the b-string.