DWPS and an Ascending Scale Question

Okay, I read through a few of the other topics in regards to my question… But I still have a question that’s been around for a bit, BIG thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction here and big apologies if this has been discussed to death…

Here’s what I think I know based on what I have watched in the cracking the code stuff and the pick slanting primer;

IF I want to play an A natural minor scale, alternate picked there are some considerations first…

1: Stringchanges should happen on an upstroke if DPS’ing (just after I mean, yes!)
2: DWPS facilitates this.

This means that I need to start my 3 note per string scalar run with an upstroke, yes? If so that means that A-B-C on the low E str, and D-E-F on the A str will work out pretty good. Awesome.

But this means that ABC = UDU as far as pick strokes go (cool) and then on the DEF after the string change, it’s DUD - Oh no! A downstroke for my last note, and just before the string change…

It violates the “law” and forces me to rethink my strategy… (It means I can’t be lazy anymore I, gotta work this outI) am thinking that this means that I need to become an upwards pickslanter for every second string change, or avoid it altogether and just umm, sweep through the notes on the String-change a la Yngwie… And if I am doing a pick slant change, am I correct in thinking that I can do that on any of the notes leading up to the note just before the string change (ie, if I want to change strings on a downstroke, I need to reverse the slant and become a upwards pickslanter…?)

So the question is this; IS this the way to deal with this issue, ie changing my pick slant? I’d LIKE to have better command of my alternate picking in regards to this particular thing which has been a hang-up for quite some time in my playing - I usually avoid it a straight scalar run ascending or descending if I can…

Thoughts? (Thanks again guys!)

2 Likes

For DWPS the downstroke chooses the target string, the upstroke comes up from a trapped position (between strings). DWPS players tend to pick even number of notes per string. If you want to pick odd numbers of notes per string you might choose “cross-picking” or 2WPS (much more complex).

1 Like

ok, technically I would say stringchanges should happen AFTER an upstroke…or u can say u go to a new string WITH a downstroke

for strict 3 note per string scales u have a few options.

1. yes, if u r going to keep strict dwps then you will be economy picking like Yngwie

2. or u can do as u said “become an upwards pickslanter for every second string change”. This is known as “2 way pickslanting.” I much prefer this for flexibility even though its cool to also have the economy picking worked out.

of course, once u learn to slant both ways then you can throw out the “after every second string change” because youd just do it whenever u needed it. Like on an ascending 3 note per string run youd simply go DUD and do that first string change with an upslant. No need to start on an upstroke etc.

and, yes, usually u can gradually change the slant over the course of the 3 notes or whatever. of course on some very difficult licks like “the Paul Gilbert Lick” you are basically changing slants twice on that one note. That’s super advanced.

In the long run Id say its best to work out 2 way slanting and also be comfortable using either dwps and uwps.

Also there is the strategy of “one way licks”…in other words u work out licks where u just have the same slant the whole time. for example a really cool 16th note uwps ascending lick.

G----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------7–10–7--8–10–etc
A---------------5–8--5–7--8–7--8–10-------------------------------------
E----5–7--8-------------------------------------------------------------------

or just repeat notes for a simpler dwps ascending run:

D-------------------------------------------5–7--9–5--7–9 etc
A-----------------------5–7--8–5--7–8
E–5--7–8--5–7--8

there are rules of thumb for example if u have an odd number of notes then you will have to change the pickslant on the string change. if u have an even number then the slant stays the same etc

so if u want to use all dwps u can come up with little combinations like this:

B-------------------------6–8--10–8--10–12
G---------4–5--7–8----------------------------
D–5--7------------------------------------------

my fave for working on 2 way slanting would be something that gives u plenty of time to change slants back and froth like this…starting with uwps:

A--------------5–7--8–7--5
E—5–7--8--------------------8–7 loop

so u start with uwps and then as soon as you get up on the A string you can gradually start changing back to dwps because youll need dwps to go back to the E string. Once u get back on the E string u start changing back to uwps to get back onto the A string etc. This can be slightly awkward for some people because its 10 notes so some people have a hard time trying to count it etc lol. But its easy because u get plenty of time to make your slant changes

Then a slightly advanced version is this:

A---------------5–7--5
E----5–7--8-------------8–7

its an easier rhythm since its just plain 16th notes (count 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4 etc) but as u see u dont have as much time to change slants but its still not that hard once u get the hang of it.

The REALLY nasty one is the infamous “Paul Gilbert lick” (triplets)

A-------------5--------
E–5--7–8------8–7 loop

So u see there its uwps to get that one note on the A string but simultaneously you are changing back to dwps to come back to the E string. Very stout challenge but also very doable. Basically a matter of combining picking with string tracking in the right amounts.

IMO its also helpful to not use huge amounts of slant. U only need to slant a small amount to clear the string anyway…so why overdo it??

to make things more complicated, u can also throw in a pull off or hammer on to sort of prearrange your pickstrokes to line up to whatever slant u want to use etc. This is sort of what Yngwie does when descending

lets say I did this descending run and i want to strictly keep dwps:

E–15–14–12–10------------------------------------------
B-----------------------12–10--------------------------------
G---------------------------------12–11–9------------------
D----------------------------------------------12–11–9-----
A------------------------------------------------------------12

ok I start with a downstroke and everything is lined up correctly until I get to the 3 notes on the G string. if I go DUD then there is a problem because im now trapped on the wrong side of the G string when I need to be going to the D string. So instead of going DUD I go DU pulloff. That way you go to the D string with your needed downstroke. Then you do the same again since u have 3 notes on the D string. U go DU pulloff and you are set up to go to the A string with a downstroke etc.

In summary, 2 way slanting is the most flexible but you can also use other methods if u want to strictly stick with 1 particular slant. Its best to learn all of the methods since each has its benefits and also drawbacks and each has its own unique sound

peace, JJ

2 Likes

haha, I just realized you are the “new guy” who’s vid I watched before work this morning. I replied to your thread as if u were a newb lol. My bad, I see you’ve been playing for 40 years and have some good chops built up

well, in any case the different slanting mechanics can make us all feel like newbs anyway

1 Like

Hey man, all good - I will take any info I can get! This pickslanting/motion mechanics thing is kind of a daunting task to try and decipher. I am trying to sort out my playing and maybe try and move forward musically…

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

1 Like