Early shredder Allan Holdsworth

has anybody seen this 1974 video of Allan, the one with Soft Machine feat Allan, same year is no longer on youtube, just a short traliler by cuneiform rec.

4 Likes

Hi @Bozodam.

I’m a huge fan of Allan and I have seen this video before, though not for a few years actually. Awesome playing, and even more mind-boggling when consider the time and the fact that Allan continued to develop further as a player for decades after this point.

Right, these early years slightly uncontrolled flow and roughness sheds some light on many levels.

I kinda like this 70’s rock fusion sound more than the later 80’s stuff. That SG deluxe looks and sounds killer. I like that his legato technique is the antithesis of what McLaughlin and DiMeola were doing at this time in a similar genre (alt picking everything). He must have seemed like an alien to his contemporaries.

2 Likes

Amazing video! Although we speak a lot of his legato technique we can really see how his picking technique was also awesome and contribute to his playing. His hand kinda suspended and the finger picking (as we can see in 00:53) reminds me of Pasquale Graso technique.

2 Likes

I’m not much of a fan of Allan’s music, but I definitely agree he is looking epic 70s rocker here! Cool clip.