“Easiest” Yngwie Song or Solo?

This sounds like an oxymoron, but what do people consider the best “entry level” or “introductory level” Yngwie song or solo to learn? If you’ve attempted to learn some of his repertoire, where did you start and how did you approach it?

1 Like

Depends on what you’re trying to learn. But plenty of Yngwie licks, or even “Yngwie-style” licks would qualify as introductory picking exercises. Any of the pure alternate phrases where you’ve got an even number of notes per string:

https://troygrady.com/seminars/volcano/clips/alternate-picking-six-note-pattern-phrygian-descending/

As with most examples of real world playing, entire solos are going to have all kinds of things in them, some of which may “break the rules” or involve weird combinations of picking and legato that you yourself may not even be interested in learning. If you’re looking for introductory material, pulling out phrases here and there keeps things focused on specific techniques to make it easier to learn them.

2 Likes

This would be a good one to start with. Tune down a half step. Use your ears. Tab will get you close, but the fingerings are wrong most of the time. :bear:

2 Likes

Great advice guys, and the Icarus Suite gives me chills. Amazing instrumental.

1 Like

“Easiness” of this song makes me think that I cold play it… if I spend about 10 next years in a woodshed… ))

2 Likes

Come on guys… Play this one then. How much easier you want? :bear:

1 Like

Well, I guess I can play first 42 seconds of it…
I’m kidding )) I’m not gonna play Masmsteen at all. Out of my league.

I think the title of this thread contains an oxymoron :slight_smile:

1 Like

Play his solos using a load of legato instead of the fast picking. That way you can enjoy the music and the solos.

Check how this Japanese player, SATSUMA3042, plays some Yngwie:

Nah, doesn’t work for me. My last achievement - playing scale 82 bpm. I guess it’s waaay too early for me to play Yngwie.

2 Likes

I would try and learn the Rhythm parts and the simpler melodies to try and get the feel. With all the blazing runs that are outside of your abilities at the moment, insert your own (or borrowed) simplified yngwie style licks whilst employing CTC DWPS mechanics. As you improve you can learn the real licks and add them back in.

Yngwie’s songs are a total wankfest. Well, not all of them, but they’re crazy. One of the first songs I attempted was the intro to Trilogy Op 5. Been about 2 years since Ive played it, but overtime I feel its the sweeping which is crazier than the picked stuff when practiced constantly. I never really understood his sweep picking technique.

And its actually songs like these which give me confidence to try and tackle the bigger bois like Blitzkrieg.

Too Young to Die too Drunk to Live or General Hospital off of the Alcatrazz record are pretty digestible, as is Island in the Sun, as had been previously suggested. As most have said, nailing any Yngwie tune at tempo is going to be a very very long process. but his Alcatrazz material has a better balance of melodic phrasing and faster lines than any of his solo material.

1 Like

I can’t believe no one said “Farewell”! It’s the only Yngwie I ever learned!

1 Like