Easily loosing my technique

After 2 years of hardcore practicing alternate picking, now I feel that if I don’t play everyday Im loosing the hability to play at high speeds, 16th note triplets in 138 bpm and above. I worked hard in the 2 way pickslanting, picking inside and outside but I feel frustrated… Need more or less 1 hour a day only to be in shape to play high demanding alternate picking… Im the only one? Will this period pass?
I put a video to show you my picking hability and get some feedback…

Best regards!
@Troy maybe its not the correct place? :frowning:

2 Likes

its in your head only. if you are practicing heavily a day off will only increase your skills

nice playing btw!

2 Likes

If you read the your quote above, it kinda says it all. For most people, alternate picking at “moderate” speeds is difficult. So elite level picking is going to be extremely difficult to nail 100% of the time. Watch any Dream Theater performance and you will see Petrucci flub some notes or not quite keep up during the most demanding technical parts- and thats Petrucci who only needs to worry about playing like Petrucci and has practically all day to play/practice and on tour plays most nights. Judging by the above video, I have to agree with @JonJon and say that I think you feel the problem is bigger than it really is. Your playing is excellent, don’t grow a problem that isn’t likely to be a problem in reality - being able to maintain technique to a high level with no more than an hour a day? Bloody hell, i’ll sign up for the disease you have lol! :wink:

Also, make sure you judge your playing from the point that you are warmed up, not as soon as you pick up the guitar. It is very easy to get frustratedout of context

As @JonJon points out, take a week of guitar and see how you fair, you might find that when you return, your playing benefits. At worse the drop off of technique will be about the same as a day’s rest and that an hour is all it takes to get back into the groove.

If indeed it is a “phase” that will pass, then keep practicing and let it arrive. You cannot speed that up, it will either happen or it won’t. It may happen in 5 months or 5 years - it doesn’t matter.

Good luck on your quest my friend!

3 Likes

Really good inspiring responses. I was really obsessed with alternate picking, as a fan boy of John Petrucci in my 15’s. Followed ina really stric way the Rock discipline video and now I feel that after a time i need to dedicate a lot of hours to get my picking technique in shape. The only thing that calms me (like an alcoholic sicked) is to know that it’s normal…
Thank you so much for your responses. I will try quiting for a week and test out that one. I feel anxious if I don’t work my routine some day… I think that this is not healthy.

Best regards.

1 Like

Paul Gilbert once said that fast picking was like exotic fishes. High maintenance.

3 Likes

Haha, I like that!

Maybe you need some variety instead? If you haven’t already, check out Troy’s interview with Noa Kageyama, more specifically the “random practice” concept. Very cool and may help you get away from the anxiety/obsession surrounding your routine by practicing other thongs and still maintaining your chops. Moght even spark extra creativity too if you come up with your own random practice workouts

2 Likes

I find playing funk rhythm patterns work really well for picking technique upkeep, so if you want a break, I’d try these. Nile Rodgers stuff is always good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Never thought of that… good call!

A great way of preventing yourself from having the technique equivalent of a massive mid-scoop (i.e. being able to play very fast or very slow but not at mid tempos with good feel).

Especially if you work on switching from funky rhythm to lead breaks at the same tempo fluidly.

2 Likes

Very interesting what you say… working a lot on fast alternate picking sometimes makes me feel like I lose groove feeling at mid tempos… something to practice concretely?

Thank you so much for your advices <3

1 Like