EJ jazz 3 picks

Hey gang. I’ve been noodling with different picks. Love the tortex Flow, but the attack can be muted. I like the attack and “flow” of the EJ jazz 3’s, but they’re so tiny. Just can’t get used to it. The jazz 3 XL’s are the perfect size, but they don’t feel the same. Different tip and hardness.

Does anyone know of a larger version (with the same tip/bevel/feel) of the EJ Jazz 3?

Thanks in advance!

The older red Jazz III XL was the soft matte nylon used on the EJs.

Unfortunately, I haven’t found anything currently available that feels like an XL-sized EJ, and I have looked.

Thanks for the speedy reply TG, hope you’re well! When did they switch materials? Perhaps I can find some vintage ones on the secondaries…

Just splurged on the Red Bear Govan picks. $35 for a pick seems silly, but I’m just so curious. Will report back on it.

They switched the material from matte nylon to gloss nylon on the red Jazz III and Jazz III XL a couple of years before the EJ model was released. This would have been about 2007-2008 at the latest. They also changed the material in the black Jazz IIIs.

I still have a few of the older material Jazz IIIs. I actually prefer the EJ to the older small reds, but I prefer the older material black and reds to the currently available standards models.

They make the Flow in at least three different plastics—I think the sound is more a property of the material and thickness than anything. So the three different types of Flow sound different…

I know they make the Flow in tortex (which I like) and ultex (which I don’t like). What else is there?

I’ve only seen the chirpy heavy ones and the tortex

Has anyone tried these “bespoke” picks from Red Bear or Blue Chip picks? Probably should’ve checked with this crew before ordering both

Delrin (Misha’s Flow, but only in two sizes).

1 Like

I love Blue Chip picks, they don’t seem to wear at all and I love the speed bevel, feels super smooth and effortless. I use a TAD50 and TP48 for acoustic and I want to get a TD50 for electric, I bought a Jazz LG50 for electric but I don’t really like it because it doesn’t have the speed bevel.

Really want to try a Tone Slab as well, apparently they sound more like shell but they do wear and you have to maintain them but I don’t wanna pay the extra $20 to ship them to England :slight_smile: