EJ style DWPS, with little or no wrist rotation

Are there any proficient players in the EJ downward style picking that do not use forearm rotation? I use mostly wrist flex ion and I am starting to suspect that forearm rotation is a more efficient motion for this type of playing. Anyway, just wondering if there are some smoking players out there in dwps land that will prove my theory wrong. I’ve been working on trying to develop rotation but it’s slow going.

2 Likes

Hey Brian,

I personally don’t know of any. I think one of the big things with DWPS is that in order to have that slouched position, the entirety of your arm, including the lower and upper arm, needs to be relaxed. When it’s slouched downwards, the forearm along with the thumb tends to act as a “shock absorber” as the pick moves through the string. This results in the rotational and thumb mechanics that you sometimes see in players.

The best way to get that rotation happening is to memorize the feeling of your lower arm (tips of fingers up to and including wrist) when it is hanging by your side and completely tensionless. Ensure that as you pick, you don’t lose that feeling. Same with the upper arm. Eventually, you’ll get there.

2 Likes