Epic Crunk! Instrumental power metal using YJM 6s and other classic shred patterns [With Tabs]

I wrote this piece as demo for a free amp simulator software, but now I really like it even as a standalone “song” :smiley:

The piece uses some classic shred patterns, both in the riffs and in the leads. These include the Yngwie 6s and some two-string licks in the style of Vinnie Moore, but I tried to make the ripoff a bit less obvious by playing them as 16th notes instead of 6s.

Another trick I used that I really like is playing fours on a single string with an open string pedal tone. You can see that the second time the riff comes along, and also in the ending riff. Something like:

8-7-5-0-7-5-3-0 etc

Most of the fast licks (16th notes) can be played with single-escape motion — if you are ok to use some hammer-ons and pull-offs to avoid the upstroke string change. In this recording I opted to pick everything so you’ll see a couple of mixed escapes in there.
For the slower arpeggio and melody stuff you need some double or mixed escape motion, but it may also be possible to convert to single escape by changing the fretting or via hybrid picking and sweeping. I think I did some of that for the triplet stuff.

If anyone is interested you can grab the tabs below. And let me know if you are interested in a backing track, I can export that soon :slight_smile:

Want backing track?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

10 Likes

It’s so awesome!!!

3 Likes

Reminds me of early Stratovarius. Awesome stuff.

3 Likes

Really cool, great playing!

2 Likes