Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover (Live 1990)

Hey gang. Has anyone here tackled this live “Cliffs of Dover” intro from 1990? The ‘88 Austin City Limits intro gets a lot of attention, but I’m having a blast learning this one using the “AudioStretch” app to slow it down. I’m 1 minute in, been fun but a long slog. Never seen a cover of it or the TAB out there.

1 Like

This is my favourite version of Cliffs of Dover. It still gives me chills. I’ve deliberately avoided learning it, learning the studio version and the '88 ACL as a teenager did make them just a little less magical for me.

Thanks Tom. find learning something does take away the “mystique” and I actually hear it differently. I wonder why that is. I really enjoy figuring out how it’s done, but it does sacrifice hearing it as I did before.

1 Like

I’m at the point now where I don’t really ever want to hear Cliffs Of Dover in its entirety again. But I still love the live intros. The ACL, the one in the OP and even from September of this year:

They’re all so freaking great and if there were tabs for all of them, I’d try to learn them all. What I love about them is that no matter what speed they’re played at, they still sound amazing and, probably because they’re clearly labeled to know what they’re intros of, but you can “feel” that the Cliffs are in the distance. I still pick the ACL because it’s the first one I heard after the original. But tonally, I think the one in the OP is the best sounding.