Eric Johnson “Friends” solo 1 cover by Niko

One of my favorite EJ solos (I have about 50 favorite EJ solos, but that’s another story :wink:).

Best thing about learning this one: it’s short and sweet :grin:

Most EJ solos are quite a bit longer and that makes it more arduous/frustrating to learn them. As all EJ solos, it’s always a work in progress, but I tried to put as much fire in this one as I could.

The take is live and unedited.

Cheers

6 Likes

Tone is fantastic and so is your playing. What gear did you use here?

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words :pray:
Gear used: Fender CS '55 NOS Stratocaster into Yoyo American Sound overdrive, into HX Stomp, recorded in Ableton Live (DAW).

Oh cool so you are using amp sims! Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the signal chain? :slight_smile:

Happy to, Tommo.

Are you interested in the complete preset and/or settings?

Or just the models used and their order?

Very kind thank you :slight_smile: , whatever is convenient! I have Helix Native on the computer so I’ll probably have similar amp models to those in the stomp!

You will have the exact same ones indeed—I also have the Native plug-in. I will upload the preset/pics when I get home.

One thing I forgot to mention is that before the signal hits the HX stomp, I also use a Yoyo/Harley Benton American Sound overdrive pedal, to give the sound a bit more “analogue” bite. The models can sound a bit tame at times. The pedal doesn’t change the sound much, but it gives it a bit of extra gain and dynamics.

1 Like

Also, I use an Impulse Response instead of a cab. If you use a Marshall vintage cabinet you will have more or less the same sound. CTC doesn’t allow me to upload the preset–if you want it I have to send it to your email. You could make it from scratch using the pics.

Have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome thanks! The pics are more than enough!

And I probably forgot to mention that your tone and vibrato were fantastic!

1 Like

…is that you Eric!?

1 Like

:joy: thanks for the kind words, chief

Bravissimo! :clap:

A bit off-topic but just out of curiousity what guage are your strings? I was looking into learning the solo(s) from Love Walks In the other day and discovered that while my resting vibrato is ok I have some real work to do with it when it comes to holding a note that relies on string bending.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words :pray:t2: I use Ernie Ball 10s. I pretty much settled on this gauge for Strats in standard tuning. I understand what you mean about control of vibrato with bending. I wish I had an easy solution for you — all I know is: keep at it until it sounds good :grin: still working on all this myself every single day

1 Like

Maybe there is an easier way called 8s… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

haha — use 8s at your own risk :grin: :wink: on a serious note, yes the string gauge discussion is never ending. Let’s just say the 10s are balanced in tuning stability, clean tone, midrange content, resistance and prone-to-breaking factor. All gauges have strong and weak points, 10s seem to be a happy medium for me. Do you use 8s, Tommo?

I use Elixir 9s at the moment! In the past I used 10s but that was hard work for bending and vibrato.

Now my fingers are getting lazier and lazier, even 9s feel a bit too tough to bend, particularly the high E. (To be fair, all my guitars are overdue for a proper setup)

1 Like

Very nice. The string-skipping licks sound great- very EJ signature. :slight_smile:

1 Like