Eric Johnson lead tone trick!

Click bait thread title aside. For years one aspect of EJ’s lead tone has baffled me.
The delay. I could never get the clarity he has, the notes always run together in a cascading mush.
The other day while perusing the net looking for tips to EJ’s lead tone I discovered the “secret” and it’s kind of genius.
EJ places the echoplex before the overdrive in his lead effect line so it’s like this.
Wah -> Echoplex -> Overdrive -> front of amp.
By doing this fast runs “duck” the overdrive avoiding a mush of overdriven notes hitting the delay and being cascaded out.
I did this with a boss dd-3 set to a longer than usual slapback, not even close to what EJ uses and it totally puts me in the ballpark of his violin lead tone.
edit:
it definitely works better with a delay with analog style “lo fi” repeats

9 Likes

Damn so simple but so clever.
I’ve been using my old boss multi effects though and the delay module is hardwired after the overdrive module so I can’t try it.

1 Like

Something else is his use of an overdrive pedal to tame a loud non-master volume amp. He runs the level out from the overdrive pedal close to off, rolling off a good amount of “ice picky” high end (which is why he’s able to use the bridge pickup in a good amount of lead lines) while allowing the power tubes to be cranked at a lower volume. I adopted both the ducking delay and “amp taming” aspects of his setup a few years back and love it, some of my videos I’ve posted here showcase that.

4 Likes

thanks for this, I thought I was doomed to not use delay on an overdriven amp without an effects loop…

1 Like

I haven’t tried this, but would using a delay infront of an overdrive into a cranked amp not cause the delays to get really messy and crazy?

1 Like

@aliendough not if you set up the delay correctly. For example, I found that you can’t use the same blend of dry / wet when in front of the amp compared to in the FX loop; I think the compression brings up the delay level a good amount, so you have to compensate by lowering the wet signal. Also, the tone might shift a tad, so having a tone control to tame the highs is desirable.

Delay in front of amp in that clip!

3 Likes

nice! I will experiment with this tomorrow.

1 Like

Also worth experimenting with a delay with some sort of ducking feature built into it, especially for those of us who don’t use an outboard OD…

…which I might be doing tonight, thanks to this thread. :+1:

2 Likes