Eric Johnson- Lonely in the Night Solo 2 Tribute & Improvisation by Peter C

Hello all,

For many it seems this has in fact become the new normal, and I hope everyone is doing alright. A year and a half later since I posted my first Cliffs of Dover cover here, it’s been an inspiring journey in the real of extreme-EJness and thanks to his music and especially Troy for dissecting his hallmark phrases and welcoming me here.

I perhaps could be more diligent in learning the CTC ways as I did back then, and perhaps I could even be accused of under-utilizing some of the resources, but CTC has given me immense musical freedom and confidence with even just the few things I took and spun around. I am a better player and musician for it.

The greatest lesson I learned was that even rocket science can be learned; I can say with some certainty that overcoming such related mental fears (be it fear of speed itself or extreme deference for the artist) was the key to really take advantage of the technical method and jargon.

And thus here is my grand finale of the daddy of all EJ solos, the second from Lonely in the Night (which I am so happy he has decided to play live these days- for the first time in some 30 years!)- except it is improvised in places, and extended by another minute, because why not.

[The gear is as standard: Gibson 58 Les Paul, Analogman Sunface, Ibanez Tubescreamer, MXR Fet Driver, Strymon Timeline, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Suhr RL

The first 2 minutes are with the sunface fuzz and the final minute or so when the improvisation begins- that’s the ts-808 and fet driver.]

Hope you guys enjoy and as always, keep on picking.

Peter

8 Likes

You know, your touch on the guitar on the slower passages, IMO, is the best part of this. Great playing!

3 Likes

Thanks Drew. That means a lot. I love speed and worked hard at it, but making a note sing- that’s always a work in progress and the most important thing to me so I’m glad that bit got translated here.

Working on speed has incidentally made me appreciate the tactile part even more. Whatever the gear, it still has to sound good and have a certain swing. Sometimes the mechanics of speed itself make this a whole lot easier ironically, whereas a sparse lick can expose you more.

Again, thanks for the kind words as always.

4 Likes

Love the tone throughout this. I don’t know the source material well, but it’s funny how those signature EJ phrases grab your ear. And your playing is super clean, yet soulful. Love the singing tone you get on those high notes.

3 Likes

Appreciate the words :slight_smile:

It works both ways I think. Before whereas I had no formal technique but a bit of everyday phrasing/vibrato, and now I think one is the key to unlocking the other and vice versa.

2 Likes