Eric Johnson “When The Sun Meets The Sky” solo 2 cover by Niko

This solo is one of my very favorite EJ solos (and songs). It has everything going for it: touch, phrasing, tone, melodic content, motives, techniques – it’s like a painting made by a master painter. Trying to replicate it is definitely challenging, but certainly worthwhile in my opinion – I consider it a work in progress.

I wish you all the best for 2021,
Cheers,
Niko

9 Likes

Great playing! How are you getting that tone?

1 Like

Thx so much :pray:t2: I don’t know how much you want to dive into detail, but broadly speaking the signal chain is:

CS NOS ‘55 Strat, bridge pick-up
HX Stomp (dhyana drive and JTM45 model with delay and reverb)

Of course, we can discuss picks, pick-ups, strings, cables, tonewood, IRs, preset parameters and all that, but I don’t know whether that was the scope of your question :grin:

Cheers

1 Like

That’s awesome, I went down the EJ tone rabbit hole a few years back, main thing that stuck around was using the bridge pickup through a tube driver into a non-master volume channel. This is that, minus the EJ riffs lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDHNlBYnvIg/?igshid=sicayx5peo6x

It’s difficult to hear clearly because of the shreddy/all-picked nature of the lick, but I think you’re in the ballpark. :+1:t3:

I still have to replicate his tone outside of a modeler, but from what I know, cranking a smooth distorting amp, combined with an 808 and adding delay and reverb will get you a good base to start.

Cheers

1 Like

Great job!!! It sounds great.
Dude what is your gear for this song?

2 Likes

Thx so much :pray:t2: @Pepepicks66 asked the same question earlier in the thread.

I guess it depends on how much you want to go into the details :grin:

Let me know if you want to know more than was already discussed.

Cheers

I hope everyone recognizes the source for this sound: Jimi Hendrix, “One Rainy Wish,” from Axis: Bold As Love. Speaking from a songwriting perspective, I mean the harmonic concept.

That is great, where did you get the backing track?

The backing is from the original studio track of “Sun” — there’s a section in the outro where EJ doesn’t sing and doesn’t play lead, I used that as a backing.

1 Like