Ex1 130 bpm Sextuplets - Can I get Your Feedback?

Hi everyone.

I trying to nail the ex1 130 bpm sextuplets.

I did a recording at 100%, 50%, 35% and 25% speed.

Although at full speed it feels comfortable and right to my ears when I ear the slow mo audio it looks that I’m playing only six notes sometimes while others times seem right and I’m playing seven notes. To note that I always end the burst at the first note of the next beat, that is why I’m trying to count 7.

Can you please give me your feedback and point what I’m doing right and wrong. And when pointing it the wrong can you give me your insights how to fix it?

I’m trying to apply the start with speed technique (I started with 100 bpm) but like mentioned before, although it sounds ok and feels ok playing up to speed but on slow mo they notes seem uneven and sometimes seems I’m playing less notes. Which it seems a bit weird since I’m starting with a down stroke and finishing with a down stroke as well…

Thanks in advance.

It would be handy to turn the delay down or off as it makes it a little harder to hear.

I’m struggling to hear the 1st note.

I would suggest turning off the metronome and loop at least a few times and getting the freetime feel solid and fast.

3 Likes

Hey Nuno, thanks for posting :slight_smile:

Agree with this!

We do not recommend the ``short bursts" approach here for a variety of reasons.

For example, with a small number of notes it’s very hard to tell if you are following the metronome or not. With a longer phrase (say 2 bars of continuous playing) the ``quality" of the timing / rhythm becomes much clearer.

Also for motor learning purposes it seems more effective to work on longer phrases.

1 Like

Turn of the delay!
It makes it easier to hear what’s really going on. I do that when I practice and I want to hear if I’m sloppy or not. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks all.

I was doing some leads on a song before recording this take and forgot to turn off the delay :blush:

I’ll record a better take and do at least two bars like @tommo suggested.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a short burst or two to get your hand “in the mood” as it where, but yeah, as @tommo says, you need to do a bar or two to get any sense of where you are. Note that that might be noticeably slower than your “burst” speed.

2 Likes