Facebook’s new name is Meta

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday at his company’s Connect event that its new name will be Meta. “We are a company that builds technology to connect,” Zuckerberg said. “Together, we can finally put people at the center of our technology. And together, we can unlock a massively bigger creator economy.”

“To reflect who we are and what we hope to build,” he added. He said the name Facebook doesn’t fully encompass everything the company does now, and is still closely linked to one product. “But over time, I hope we are seen as a metaverse company.”

86ec96d18a707d80cb250ca241c998a93c027464

1 Like

Oh no, now we won’t be able to say “that’s so meta” with the same spirit!

3 Likes

In honour of the band Car Bomb on the 5th year anniversary of the release of their album ‘Meta’, I believe.

1 Like

Not that I have ever wanted to be on FB, but years ago when I found out who Mr Z was, it pretty much sealed the deal on me never in a million years joing - there is just something un-nerving about the guy - he just feaks me out…

I’m way behind the times - what exactly does this mean? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Just means something that refers back to itself.

I deleted my Facebook account 2 years ago and don’t miss it a bit.

3 Likes

Mine is still active but I don’t think I’ve posted for almost 8 years and my profile picture is from around then too.

I realized I really don’t care what’s going on in anyone else’s life, let alone what they ate for breakfast.

Yeah, another anti social (media) guy here. What I never got was this universal sentiment that facebook was so much more awesome than MySpace. I didn’t like MySpace either lol! I just couldn’t understand what was so different or better about facebook to the extent that it became the tech giant that it is, and MySpace is a thing I bet plenty of kids haven’t even heard of.

1 Like

It was a pretty abrupt takeover. And really there wasn’t much of a difference between the two on the surface, just some user and superficial things. Facebook had a bigger presence on campuses and that may have been the start of it. MySpace was more band business friendly initially though.

1 Like

It may well of been a good PR job by facebook to grow its popularity within the “normie” population and the female population. It was marketed as very light and fluffy and friendly.

When “normies” and people over 30, and especially the western female school, college and working population, started creating FB accounts, the battle was won.

MySpace never appealed to, or was known by, for example, my mum or sister, but facebook was known and adopted by pretty much every woman between the ages of 12 to 65 over the space of a couple of years. Of course men adopted it too in droves but that may not of happened if their girlfriends and crushes and mums and sisters weren’t on FB.

1 Like

A lot of this was dictated by location too. Facebook initially was always more popular in Europe than MySpace was.

I just want you to know this joke did not go unappreciated.

1 Like

I stole it from the band themselves.

1 Like

I used to trust you, Prlgmnr!

2 Likes

Totally missed the car bomb reference! Now I gotta hear Secrets Within.