Fast Question: USX vs. DSX Wrist Mechanics

Apologies if this had been discussed earlier. Always around this time of year, I try and make an effort to work on my playing, usually involving fixing technique issues that I’ve never really mastered to a level commensurate with how long I’ve been playing the instrument. I’m going back through the new videos in the Primer particularly the Wrist movement section. When setting up for performing the USX versus the DSX movements, is the only real difference the degree of ulnar/lateral deviation that you set your neutral point at?

For a USX motion, the picking motion proceeds from “zero” to ulnar/lateral deviation, while for DSX the motion starts at ulnar/lateral deviation and then moves back to “zero.” Given the same degree of external rotation or supination of the forearm, how does this change the pick angle to either clear the adjacent string on either an upstroke or downstroke? It appears that the change in wrist deviation wouldn’t have an appreciable effect on the pickstroke path.

Really, I’m trying to get my mind around how you accomplish a DSX motion without applying a lot of pronation/internal rotation to the forearm, a la David Grier. Do you increase the amount of wrist extension when performing a DSX movement? Playing around with the setup from the videos, this seems to be the only way to come close to doing it.

Thanks!

Do you increase the amount of wrist extension when performing a DSX movement?

Yes, this is it. The USX movement, using the wrist, requires only movement along the deviation axis, but DSX also involves the flexion-extension axis of wrist movement.

You should watch this followed by this and everything should be clear :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @lars! I guess I shouldn’t have skipped the introductory materials. :man_facepalming: