Faster across multiple strings with more notes (4nps vs 3nps)?

(forgive me as I am poor at theory…I think I’m talking “16th notes” vs “quarter note triplets” but perhaps am wrong)

I’m working on a riff that’s generally 3nps and skips strings (playing octives). The riff can be heard at 1:30

(A similar riff is played at 1:00)
It seems to be 270bpm. I can get nowhere near this…somewhere around 200 I struggle. It does seem that I can play it better/faster while converting every group of 3 to 4…assuming this is bc I am playing it with strict USX elbow motion at this speed. Is this a common feeling with this mechanic (i.e. cramming 4 notes in with no slant change vs 3 notes with slant change)? Forgive me if this is poorly written! I can get video of myself if that would help

1 Like

I think that would help, and tabs if you have them!

Nevermind, my mistake. I see what you’re asking re: the mechanics of 4 NPS vs 3 NPS. Going off your original question, a tab is definitely needed. I still feel the pulse at 135 which for a lot of metal is indicating some sort of triplet feel where multiple notes on a string are concerned.

Well these guys are selling their tab book so I don’t really want to post them, but here’s a pretty slow version where you can probably figure out the riff if you like:

(Or just thinking generically pick a note and then play an octave above with 3nps and then 4nps)

Here’s the 3nps vs 4nps (same tempo- think this was something like 75%), I feel like this is about where 3 is really a chore for me:

Here’s 90% (243 bpm) strictly 4nps. Feel like this is pretty sloppy, but in fairness I’ve actually practiced the 3nps version more trying to get over my habit of relying on elbow at high speeds.

So it feels like I’m better at cramming 4 notes where 3 are supposed to go. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!

1 Like

You’ve definitely got the speed, I’m guessing since 4nps feels better for you, your issue is escape mechanics. Gauging by how supinated you are, you’re using USX (with very obvious elbow motion), so you’re gonna need to either find a secondary motion to start a new string on an upstroke, or maybe just swipe?