Favorite shred renditions of classical pieces

What are your favorite shred renditions of classical pieces?

It’s insane how this sounds like it could have been written by a tech death band. Makes me want to hear someone insane enough to arrange Webern pieces for guitar those would probably sound like Obscura era Gorguts

This one always makes me miss Alexi now.

This one isn’t very shred until he gets to his solo…

1 Like

That piece I can never remember the name of in Crossroads, with Steve Vai and the Karate kid

Paganini’s 5th Caprice?

1 Like

That’s the one! I’ve always wanted to play it, I cannot :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s a hard one. There’s a nice version of it in this book.

Becker recorded a good version of it back in the day.

1 Like

I may attempt it again, but not Becker’s version, no chance I could ever play that :sweat_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Speaking of Paganini - Marshall Harrison SLAYS that particular dragon as well, check it out! Dude is off the hook…

2 Likes

Yep that is an awesome version. Watching where he fretted things messed with my head until I realized he’s got a 7 string with a HIGH A string lol! I wonder what string gauge you’d use on a high A?

2 Likes

Depends on the scale length that looks like a shorter scale guitar. Maybe like an .008? The one custom guitar I’d love to commission is an 8 string with a low B and a high A. Multiscale so the string breakage on the high and keeping tension on the low isn’t a problem. I wonder how doable multiscale 26" to like 24" would be.

2 Likes

I have an 8 string with a high A and low B and I think its 23.5 to 25.5 iirc. Its Rusty Cooleys original Dean signature model. I use an 8 on the high A but going to try a 7 as I get too scared to do bends with it as it snaps very easily.

2 Likes

I remember Marshall saying that guitar was a Conklin Custom 7-string with a short scale length.

I did some digging on the Way Back Machine, and I found this picture

and this list of specs

https://web.archive.org/web/20111020122829/http://www.conklinguitars.com/custom_7_string_guitar_quilted_maple_short_scale.html

So the scale length is 22.75". That would be like a capo on the 2nd fret of a 25.5" scale. I’d think a high A would probably require a 0.007 gauge string.

2 Likes