Favorite YouTube Harmony & Theory Resources!

Hi! Daniel here. I’ve got many favorite YouTube Harmony & Theory Resources by now, and at the risk of duplicating other topics here (Theory you have accessible instantly?), just thought I’d throw one out there, targeted to a specific platform (YouTube), that I happened across last week. This series is by Seth Monahan of the Eastman School of Music…

Basics of Classical Harmony & Counterpoint with Professor Seth Monahan

…I’d been looking for resources on figured bass realization and was happy to come across this offering from a professor at a top music school. If episode one is too basic, skip ahead to later episodes. :wink:

6 Likes

I haven’t watched your link yet but I will check it out in a couple hours.

Since it seems you’re into this kind of stuff, I’m assuming you’ve seen ted greene’s baroque clips, but if not it is a must. These had a huge impact on me and I continue to study them, and have transcribed some of it. There is also a massive database of teds worksheets on the website. It is a gold mine of ideas and concepts.

5 Likes

Here’s “Jazz Duets” engaging in a little Stevie Wonder worship while dropping some great illustrations of modal interchange in practical use. :blush:

1 Like

I’ve Greene’s books, but no, wasn’t familiar with the particular clip! It is very apropos the Eastman video which if you take a look, you’ll find is actually many many videos presented sequentially. Fwiw, it would be harder for me to transcribe and play what he played than to understand the theory behind what we he is playing and create something new. It’s interesting to hear the guy who filmed expressing thirst for what allows Greene to create on the spot.

1 Like

I mainly transcribed bits here and there to help me understand what he was doing. The modulations in particular are very cool, as well as the call and response, melody in the bass, pedal riffs, cycles… Man there is just so much going on it’s really amazing to me.

1 Like

Here’s one for those that may be working in a DAW. Probably the most positive couple on YouTube. Love those two…

1 Like

This link is not YouTube, but is a really nice set of PDFs
http://tobyrush.com/theorypages/

2 Likes

Hey @RockStarJazzCat , do you have any online resources you can share for creating quick backing tracks to play over, or other types of practice aides?

1 Like

Wow, that’s a huge topic given that I have a huge library of such things sitting behind me. Are you familiar with iRealPro? That’s an essential these days. Here’s a link to the website:

iRealPro

1 Like

I love “Jazz Tutorial,” Julian Bradley’s Everyday Ear Training series…

He uses a “single key” method where he transposes everything analyzed into a single key. He standardizes on C Natural Minor. If a song is in a major key, that puts it in the relative major, Eb Major.

The melodic shape discussed in this example video may be expressed as, “La Do Re Mi,” in his system, or “Do Me Fa So” with the parallel major in mind. Chromatic solfege comprises singable note names, key independently, so I see little reason not to use it. I’ve also come to see the value in referencing the relative minor with La as the first note, as Bradley does. If one can play C-Eb-F-G on the fretboard while singing La-Do-Re-Mi, one is already breaking oneself free of the Julie Andrews bias. :wink:

1 Like

12tone does a nice job of scaffolding topics through both audio and visual art…

3 Likes

And here’s another one from Jazz Duets in the context of his playlist on Harmony…

I would really enjoy 12tone if it wasn’t for his ‘art.’ His videos are better as just audio.

1 Like

Haha. Well, since we’re getting all scholarly scientific about the guitar playing and the music, it’d be interesting to know whether the attempt at visual scaffolding helps, hurts, or otherwise doesn’t affect the learning process. :slight_smile:

I personally like a lot jazz duets (especially that new analysis he made on debussy). Recently @Tahoebrian5 recommended Ted Greene on another thread I made and so far I’ve learn a big deal from him, thanks for that.

So here are some ideas for online resources (I hope they are useful and ‘‘new’’):

Adam Neely and Rick Beato channels are great for getting some broad ideas (as far as practicality I don’t seem to use their stuff, but some of the content in there is really useful to know)

As far as understanding harmony and ‘‘how to solo over some chord changes’’, I will recommend this two transcriptions which are great. One shows the degrees of the chord that is being played over and the other gives you and explanation on the selection of notes. If someone knows another analysis that are similar to these please let me know.

(note selection)

(scale degrees)

In this forum someone mentioned the classical guitar delcamp forum and in that forum I found this post that shows how to analyze a piece, watching the Seth Monahan video I imagined that you might be interested on it, and it is also easy to follow and to understand. So in case someone wants to take a look at it, the post is on the classical guitar classes, it’s on the analysis of classical guitar works section, and the post is called ‘‘lets learn how to analyze a piece’’.

Pat Martino ‘‘the nature of guitar course’’ on truefire is a big deal in terms of understanding the guitar and it’s shapes. He teaches how to really take advantage of these shapes. Even though it starts kind of slow the best parts are; the melodic ideas, and the analysis over some of his tunes and soloing over rhythm changes.

3 Likes

What about this Jimmy Herring clinic? He talks about some really nice ideas:

3 Likes

Alien, have you studied that melodic minor deal he is using? I watched a bit of it but it wasn’t very clear exactly what chords he was playing over and the root name of the melodic minor scale.

Adam knows his stuff, and brilliant presentation…

2 Likes

I have started to watch it, but not all the way through yet. Are you talking about the bit at the start?

Ya, I’m just interested in the general sound he is illustrating near the start of the video. His description of what he is playing is surprisingly ambiguous. I didn’t watch the whole thing yet so hopefully it gets cleared up.