Feedback appreciated for my DWPS w/ videos

I’m trying out standard DWPS for the first time. Feedback would be appreciated!

Some of my observations:

• Playing the first two strings feels clunky, especially when going from lower to higher strings.
  • Seems like I’m palm muting everything.
  • I have a hard time muting the low e string when playing the first string (as shown in the first vid. Not sure if its necessary to mute it though.

Videos:

I can record other videos if something is not clear in these!

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve got the basic idea down.

As you note, it would be good for you to get the knack of turning that palm muting off when you want to.

A common thread of advice in these feedback threads is to try just a six note pattern on one string, and see how high you can crank the speed on that. The idea being that there are fewer variables at work on one string, and if the speed on one string isn’t yet where you want it to be, experimenting with different attempts to optimize your movement are easiest to test on just one string.

1 Like

I’ll work on the 6 nps patterns. Thanks for the suggestions!

Progress update:

-Seems like my shoulder gets tired for some reason, I wonder what’s affecting this.
-I can now palm mute only when I want to, so its not 100% on all the time.

Pics that show clearly how my right hand and arm looks. Demonstrating what a downstroke and upstroke at the G looks like.

1 Like

I’m guessing you’ve just started playing in the last year or so. Is that about right? I don’t know if the picking each string a few times, then the next, etc is something you normally do but as long as you’re picking you might as well do something with the fretting hand too. That way you’re building up coordination in both hands at the same time. I’d add some basic pentatonic licks, since I don’t see you playing any of those and it’s good practice because of the frequent string changes. This is a basic lick but it’s real good for practicing string changes and is a DWPS type lick. Play these four notes in this order: 9th fret on the G string (that’s an E note) then 7th fret on the G string, 9th fret on the D string and 7th fret on the D string. It’s played as 16th notes so play it four times in a row for one bar. Practice around 4 bars of it in a row, so that’s playing the lick 16 times in a row. rest a few seconds, then do it again, etc. Try for around 130 or 140 on the metronome as your goal now and then gradually increase the speed until you can do it around 180 or more on the metronome eventually.