Feedback before I start cracking (...the code)?

Hello, guys!

New to cracking the code (as a subscriber that is) and new to the forums! :sunglasses:

I’ve just started on the volcano chapter, and before I really dig in I’d really like some “feedback” on where I am at the moment. So that I can better know what to look for (to improve, change etc) as I proceed :slight_smile:

The clip I have included is a triplet lick where all but one string change happens after a downstroke. When it comes to speed I see now that I really struggle with the Yngwie 6-note pattern and ending on upstrokes before a string change. However, I am not sure if this is because of how I slant or if it is it fact just a left-hand motion I am not too familiar with it.

Sorry if the slow-mo quality isn’t up to standards. It’s all done in iMovie on 20% speed or so. If anybody has any suggestions as to how should film it next time…let me know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Badass picking. Yes, you are using upward pickslanting (and very impressively), and that upward-slanted movement is the reason why you struggle to play ascending string-crossing licks that end a string on an upstroke. As your video shows, when you end a string on a downstroke, your slant allows you to ascend across the strings like butter. Off the top of my head, the only major part of Yngwie’s repertoire that you can’t easily adapt for upward-pickslanting is where he does an ascending sweep across 3 strings or more (I think with Yngwie 3 is what comes up the most, resident Yngwie experts can correct me).

As I believe @Troy mentions in Volcano, Yngwie doesn’t gravitate toward descending “sweep” licks for the equivalent reason, because he mainly uses downward pickslanting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Greatly appreciated. Yes, I figured I was prob. doing UWPS but I wasn’t quite sure. This is all new terminology for me and it’s hard to tell at “higher” speeds. When I play slower it can sometimes look as If i’m doing the opposite but I suspect that my right hand changes position once I have to play something fast.

No worries about the sweeps…I couldn’t sweep-pick or economy pick to save my life! So I think I might just embrace that weakness and work around it :slight_smile:

Do you think working on DWPS or starting on an upstroke (to accommodate for my UWPS) would be more beneficial for learning Yngwie-type patterns for alternate picking?

1 Like

Great playing!

Is this because you’re trying to look at the visible “slant” of the pick and decide whether it looks “up” or “down”? If so, try not to do that. That’s not really what’s important. Instead, look at the path the pick travels. If the downstrokes go above the string height, and the upstrokes go below the string height, then you’re using upward pickslanting. In other words, the slant refers to the slant of the pick’s motion path.

This is textbook upward pickslanting, and if you take a look at Andy Wood’s interview you’ll see his form looks pretty similar.

Again nice work here.

1 Like

Okay, thank you! I will look closer. When I do these sort of triplet patterns, to me anyways, it always seemed as if neither the upstroke nor downstroke went below strings height, even though the latter might not be as apparent (l might be wrong ofc). As if the downstroke has a little more “lift” to it. On about 10-11 seconds into the video (4-5th tick of the metronome), for instance, I change strings after an upstroke, I go from the g string back to the d string…seemingly without much of a problem. The other changes are all after a downstroke. However, if I attempt something like the Yngwie 6-note pattern I would never be able to pull it off at this tempo.

Either way, thank you @Troy and @Frylock for helping me point out the “obvious” as I was not completely sure myself if I was in fact an UWPS. I guess now I’ll have to decide whether I adapt the licks to my technique or learn some DWPS…antigravity style?? :sunglasses::guitar:

2 Likes

Any questions you have about what you are doing during string changes are answerable with your phone. Place it closer and film, preferably in good light (reflected light near a window is great for this) and using 120fps or 240fps.

When you play a downstroke that goes from a lower string to a higher one, does the pick go over the top of the higher string? When you play an upstroke, does the pick go below the strings, and occasionally even contact (rest stroke) the string that is immediately lower than the one you are playing? If both of these are true, then you are upward pickslanting.

If the pick hits any string during string changes, you are “swiping”, which is covered extensively in the Antigravity seminar. You can swipe as an upward pickslanter or downward pickslanter, though upward pickslanters tend to swipe on upstrokes, and especially when descending strings, since that is the “trapped” pickstroke.

If you mostly use upward pickslanting, but the pick also goes over the lower string sometimes when you play a descending upstroke, like the upstroke you play on that one string change in this clip, you might be using two-way pickslanting or crosspicking. Terminology can start to overlap here but Andy Wood is a great example of both of these tendencies.

No matter which of these various things is happening close up in the camera at the level of individual string changes, what is important to understand, if you step back a few feet and just look at the way you hold the guitar, is that you have already made some big-picture choices with your arm position and hand movement that generally explains why you find some things easier than others.

Specifically, a pronated (flat against the guitar body) arm position, and deviation (side-to-side) wrist movement almost always leads to an upward pickslanting technique when these kinds of lines are played. Even if you’re swiping or swiping more than you’d like, the choice of this position and movement has already predetermined for the most part the types of lines which are going to work when you do them correctly. We can already tell as soon as we look at your clip, almost even before you start playing, more or less what the possibilities are for what is actually going on in your technique, just by noticing your macro setup.

That’s the big picture, i.e. you are set up like a uwps player, like Andy Wood and John McLaughlin, and the rest of it are fine points you can look at up close with the camera when you get a chance.

1 Like

@Troy

Wow, thanks for some super great insight and explanation. That really helped and I’ll take your pointers to heart. I will definitely try to film myself at a better angle and with better light. This was my first attempt so to speak. Again, great reply and thanks for creating this community.