Feodor Dosumov - thumb picked blazing

I was surprised to see no results coming up on the search for Feodor. This guy absolutely rules! He plays with a thumb pick and uses it to facilitate sweeping, tapping,

Some good close ups of his technique here -

I swear there’s a clip of him straight up alternate picking with the thumb pick, but I can’t find it. When I do I’ll post here.

5 Likes

This thread’s so old but Im about to try this! The kicker is you can just bring your index finger to your thumb and use it like a regular pick if need be

2 Likes

What kind of thumbpick are you using?

I like the Herco ones and the Fred Kelly Bumblebee.

I just got my herco thumb picks yesterday and for a few bucks they’re pretty good! I also bought the chris Broderick pick clip which should be delivered tomorrow. I think the pick clip will be solid since I can just use a wider variety of picks. The Fred Kelly ones seem cool too, but they’re $12 a pop on Amazon and if the pick gets dull quickly you have to buy a whole new one

2 Likes

The Herco ones are great, my favourites for sure.

I have seen the pick clip but never picked one up, it looks like a cool idea.

I was looking through some of Feodor’s Facebook posts, he is just amazing. Look at his technique!!

https://www.facebook.com/feodor.dosumov/videos/1059517581250486

Here’s an idea @aliendough , how bout you stop posting things that make me want to quit playing guitar??? lol! Just kidding of course, but between this and the Jeff Loomis at age 19…Great Scott!

What’s even more depressing to me about this is I’ve spent my ‘career’ split between the (attempts at) virtuoso electric stuff and traditional classical guitar. It never occurred to me to say “the hell with the desire to alternate pick everything” and try capitalizing on what I’m good at, introducing more fingerstyle into the rock lead stuff. I know I wouldn’t have gotten as good as Feodor, but I may have become at least legitimate! I’m left being an ‘ok’ classical guitarist and an ‘ok’ rock/blues/country/jazz guitarists. And in each of those genres I “/” delimited, my proficiency gets progressively worse lol!

But yeah, back on topic, Feodor is a monster!

1 Like

Oh, an other guy making you feel like you should quit playing the guitar. :sweat_smile:

I dig his tone and those arpeggios sound insane. I may start experimenting with finger picked stuff one day, but only after getting my alternate picking up to speed.

Are those Soviet machines in the background contributing to his superpower? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

lol! I’m binging on virtuoso guitar videos today.

From what I remember, I first heard Feodor on the JTC Jam of the Month Facebook page. I don’t know if you’re familiar with it, but Jam Track Central post a free backing track each month and you download it and jam over it. Feodor is in the group and he’s won a few times - I think that’s how he was discovered by the team at JTC, through that group.

I find his technique absolutely fascinating. When I see guys using something like a lot of legato or, in the case of Feodor, fingerstyle technique, I surmise that perhaps they aren’t that good at alternate picking and they have found other techniques to express themselves. Like I say, I’m only surmising and have zero evidence to back up that claim, just some thoughts I have.

I have tried with a thumbpick, inspried by Feodor, and it’s not too bad, although trying to play rhythm guitar is difficult. You should try it out and see how you go. It is great for playing leads with, you can skip strings with ease.

Only problem is that I grew my nails out a little bit, to get more of a pick-like attack on the strings when I use my fingers, and I had to cut them short again!!! I’ve never had long nails and they seriously annoy me when they are long. :joy:

Yes man, I think you would be good with thumbpicks.

Feodor is a machine, his playing is probably doing the contributing to those machines.

It is good to see Feodor influencing people on the JTC Facebook group, a few other players use thumbpicks and they absolutely rip!!!

Yeah I have tried this. I even bought a pick clip (Chris Broderick’s) so that I can use a pick of my choice with a thumbpick, but I can’t get it to feel good. The whole nails thing…though I’ve recently learned it is possible to get what I consider a good tone on a classical guitar without nails, it’s not something I’m interested in pursuing. The whole system of a contact point that feels natural to me took me quite a while to get comfortable with in my late teens. For this reason I almost always have a little length on my nails…unless I’m in a mood like I currently am, where I know I won’t be picking up the classical for the next several weeks.

2 Likes

Here’s another great clip…

@tommo, any chance of getting Feodor for an episode of Masters in Mechanics? Please!

2 Likes

Ha he is amazing for sure! I know that Troy has a huge spreadsheet with interview suggestions (I think we have something like 200+ names!) but I’ll check if he knows of him already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

haha, it will take years and years and years to get through all the suggestions!