Figuring out RDT motion

Here’s a demonstration of me attempting to do RDT motion. I hope it’s correct so I can continue practicing it.
What do you guys think?

I’m back to basics of RDT.
How does RDT side-to-side scratching motion (deviation) generate necessary flexion-extension part of the motion?
Hand just moves from side to side. RDT needs extension (downstroke) and flexion (coming back for the upstroke).

You have to turn just a little. If you lay your hand flat on a table and turn towards the karate-chop side of the palm (supination) you get the different axis of motion that has more flex/ext.

2 Likes

Upon further re-watching, experimenting, and trial-and-error I think I’m still doing my default wrist-forearm motion. It certainly “feels” close to it, with perhaps smaller dose of forearm.
I’ll continue experimenting and evaluating.

One more thing: I tried the motion tests once more. I do them fast and accurate, but with elbow. How do I do them with the wrist only?

EDIT: I’m not sure if I’m doing it from the elbow actually. Here’s the video:

(there’s a 120fps video on my technique critique on the site)

And here’s single string tremolo picking (with the same motion?):

Also, whenever I try to translate the motion to guitar, I notice the forearm joining in. All while I think I’m doing RDT DBX, but at 150bpm 16th notes max. (While guitar tapping test goes up to 180bpm, table even higher.)
Also, when I do sixes or 1242 patterns at ~180bpm, I think I’m defaulting to my usual wrist-forearm motion.

To be clear, I’m going for Andy Wood type motion. Which is why I want to control my wrist, to make it do what I want. I guess my brain activates forearm at moderate speeds and elbow above a certain speed.

Hey guys, I’m wondering if there’s someone who gives 1-on-1 lessons on RDT DBX (Andy Wood) motion?
Also, I’m looking for some more resources/videos that can help me figure it out.

Hey Flip! This is not elbow motion. Your tests look great.

More generally, you have an open TC currently, and I continually review all the updates with the team. We’ve looked at your latest clips and we can see what’s going on.

I wouldn’t worry about the source of your joint motion or which escape it “naturally” produces. I try to avoid using the term “natural” because it’s super misleading. A motion is a motion and the escape it displays is the sum of lots of factors related to overall form, grip, etc. When players use double escape form with a (mostly) zero-degree pickslant and a mostly trapped-appearing motion, there are not the same feedback cues about escape where you can obviously tell which direction the pick is going or which type of motion the arm or wrist is making. So I wouldn’t rack your brain trying to figure if you’re doing “DBX” or “DSX” and so on. That’s mostly a dead end from a learning perspective.

The next steps involve doing a few things to produce more obvious positive feedback when they’re working the way you want them to, so head on over to your TC for more details on that.

Hey Troy, thank you for taking time and energy to respond.
Can you please take a look at the motion here and let me know what you think:
(It feels good and I don’t feel tension and effort while performing it)

Hi! The team and I are happy to do this in your TC, not on the forum — we need the extra organizational features to keep track of where you’re at, so we can review your history. Like proper lab coats!

2 Likes

Did I understand RDT motion wrong?

I thought it naturally generates double escape motion.

Watching Andy Wood’s clips, I seem to notice occassional forearm twists that switch between DSX and USX.
But I thought - because he uses RDT, that simply moving back and forth should be enough to generate DBX.

1 Like