Finding root note/key techniques?

What program is that? I’d be interested in checking it out!

For over a decade I gave guitar lessons and my niche was showing people songs they wanted to play, on the spot. Often it was stuff I’d never heard, so I had to figure it out right then and there. I’d always start with identifying the key.

It wasn’t far off from you said how you do it, though I think I’d use my low E string (made sense since so many guitar songs have power chords or barres etc). I’d always first make sure I could hum the “do” note though. From there, educated guess at the note that was the key, it was off, slide up or down a few frets till it was right. So it never really took me more than like 2 or 3 tries. I had lots of practice though lol!

2 Likes

While it’s highly dependent on the sort of music we’re talking about, for most stuff, I try to discern the chord progression first. It can help to focus on what the bass is doing here. After you do this for long enough, you can start figuring out chord progressions in your head, even if you don’t know the key immediately, and then actually figuring out the key shouldn’t take more than a couple of seconds with the guitar in hand.

As for how to identify different chords aurally, I don’t really have an answer other than practice/repetition. shrugs

It’s called Use Your Ear. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Ah cool thanks, I’ll definitely check that out!

1 Like

Can you explain more on this program Tom? I’m really looking into ear training atm this is the website? The Best Ear Training Courses and Private Lessons | Use Your Ear

Why do you recommend it?

That’s the website.

I have family visiting this weekend, so I don’t have time right now for a detailed response. I’ll write up a proper reply on Monday when I have time.

1 Like

Cool thank you man.

20 characters

I ask my GF with perfect pitch if I can deal with the eye-rolling about asking “obvious” questions at that particular moment.

1 Like

Eagerly awaiting your reply Tom. I bought Rick Beatos stuff… not impressed at all.

Humm… thats a good idea, find a girl with perfect pitch and i’ll be sorted lol

Firstly, I wrote a post on this topic last summer, which is here:

It’s an absolutely monstrous post, but it fully describes my level before discovereing Use Your Ear. The short version, is that I had mediocre (not “bad”) aural skills, and was unable to progress any further despite having spent time transcribing and doing ear training exercises based on the typical interval and chord type recognition exercises.

I felt that this was my greatest weakness as a musician, and I wanted to address it. I started looking into ear training programs, but most that I found were based on the same interval and chord type recognition exercises that did not work for me.

Discovering the Use Your Ear method changed everything for me. The UYE method is focused on developing our internal representations of a tonal framework. Essentially, we learn to identify and retain the tonic note and we identify the notes by their characteristic “gravity” (need to resolve) towards the tonic.

There was never anything wrong with my ears. There were issues with my internal representation of the major scale which affected my ability to retain a tonic and identify scale degrees. There were issues with my approach and thought processes while listening. We call it “ear training,” but it’s really the mental programming of internal representations of musical structure. Our internal representations and our interpretive processes improve, not our ears.

I haven’t worked through the complete UYE course yet, but my aural skills have improved significantly. It really is an excellent course and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Even the familiarity with the basic premises and the discovery of what I had been doing wrong would have lead to some improvement.

There is also a smartphone app called Functional Ear Trainer, which teaches the user to recognise scale degrees by hearing the resolution ot the tonic. It’s nowhere near as powerful as the full UYE method, but it’s consistent with the UYE approach and the randomised testing helped me to program my mental representaions of the twelve tones in both major and minor keys.

4 Likes

Thanks Tom, it’s very interesting indeed. I do not have $500 to spend on such a course however regardless of how good it is.

I remember those perfect pitch courses advertised in magazines in the 80s and 90s, interesting that they may be in fact legitimate even if poorly organized.

Thanks for your dissertation, I will keep it in mind.

1 Like

That’s absolutely understandable, it’s expensive. I definitely recommend trying the Functional Ear Trainer app, the trial version is free and the full version is very cheap.

1 Like

it’s 500 dollars??

20 characters

I paid €397, and I felt it was worth it.

I’ve spent over that in a few days for a bit of fun so I don’t disagree… Though that was guaranteed fun lol I think thats my main issue, as it would take a lot of effort from me anyway to get into a course, I guess it’s just priorities.
Does it have legitimate studies backing it up? I’ve yet to read that other topic you posted, i’ll check it out.

The course creators cite some research but I haven’t read the original articles.

There are some very simple demonstrations on why the usual interval and chord type recognition exercises don’t really work. I personally found them very convincing.

I’ll check it out. Hopefully I don’t get a bunch of email spam daily like I do from other sites I’ve bought lessons from.

Looks like it’s on sale again for €347 with the code SUMMER23 for the next 4 days.