Fingershred on Youtube

Has anyone here seen this guy’s videos before? He has a very impressive technique and he makes it look effortless!

3 Likes

I had never seen his videos before - I am glad you shared them! That technique is really interesting. Goodness, at 00:16 in the first one, he really went off - I was impressed at how clean that was!

Edit: The Jason Becker one! :open_mouth: I literally can’t stop watching this - I think this murders the Jason Richardson version for cleanness looool BRB, just rethinking my last 20 years of playing guitar badly. I medically need to learn how to play like this :joy:

1 Like

What. The. Heck. :joy:

3 Likes

Absolutely insanely incredible fingerpicking. My mind is blown as I’m watching video after video of his. This guy is amazing and deserves a ton of recognition - so much more than he is getting by looks of his YouTube view-count. Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah the Jason Becker one is just incredible, the arpeggios are so smooth.

NP - glad you are enjoying his playing!

Sorry to bump this - I was just curious if anyone knows what this guy is doing or has tried this? I am guessing its basically picado but with the thumb used as well for efficient 3nps playing?

For the fast scalar stuff, it looks like middle/index/thumb over and over again. I’ve never done that in my classical playing, but I know there are players out there who do it this way. In theory it should be faster than the fast i/m alternation used by flamenco (or classical) players because each finger has longer to prepare before it’s used again. The downside I can see is rest strokes would be really difficult, and a lot of players have a hard time making their thumb sound the same way the index/middle do, just because it’s a heavier, stronger finger. Probably not as big of deal doing it with distortion like this, where you get the natural compression that comes with the gain.

Pretty incredible playing though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually even posted a vid about this, a while ago. @joebegly is spot on, its thumb middle index (pmi in classical letters). Although fingershred is doing it faster than I ever could. I‘ll pull up my old vid if you like, it can get you started. I had this stuff highly „systemized“, with string changes and everything, from back when I still was serious about classical guitar. Tariq Harb is a great classical player, who utilizes this technique effectively.

2 Likes

Oh wow - that would be amazing!!

1 Like

That thread also discusses string changes, and there is a tab for the opening scale of Villa-Lobos Etude No.7 with right hand fingering somewhere.
Some other stuff of fingershred goes beyond that, like the jason becker Arpeggios, but his scale playing that I‘ve seen looks 99% like this.

3 Likes

What a wealth of information - this is my weekend sorted! Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Glad this is of use to you. If you like, let me know how it goes!

1 Like