First time trem test - is this right?

Hi
I’m new to the forum and looking for some advice. I’ve tried for such a long time to play fast licks and runs but I always get stuck in a mess. I can’t play a simple pentatonic scale at more than about 110 bpm. Then I discovered CTC and have been working through the pick slanting primer for the last couple of days. I’ve never recorded a video of my playing until very recently and I haven’t worked out the slo-mo or right angles yet but I am quite pleased with the fact that I seem to be able to pick quite fast on one string now. I can’t cross to another string without it all falling apart again but would love to get some thoughts on this new found motion! And how to apply that to synchronised playing to eventually get those runs

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

It ltooks like a nice elbow motion.

Awesome tremolo, and welcome to the forum!

Have you gotten far enough along in the Primer that you are aware of USX vs DSX? Your motion will be naturally DSX, since your elbow drives the motion. You’ll have to switch your strings after down strokes, starting the new string on an upstroke.

Thanks Joe. I just watched that section and it makes a lot of sense but I seem to get in a muddle again. I think I’ve had years of believing I can’t do it so my brain tells my hand I can’t do it and the motion changes back to a hop. I think I need to keep trying at a speed just off max with say 4 nps right? I’ll give that a go and report back. Tonight I’m still thrilled I can tremolo pick on one string

Don’t do 4nps unless you are starting with an upstroke. DSX motion will escape on a downstroke.

1 Like

Thanks Gabriel. I had no idea about elbow or wrist motions until now!

1 Like

Looks like a great tremolo! Time to practice some licks :slight_smile:

As the others have suggested, see how it goes with DSX-licks (only changing strings after a downstroke). If that feels sticky, try USX licks.

Don’t worry at all about being clean, at first you want to keep it fast and get a sense of what it will feel like to play at speed across strings.