Fishman pickups question power pack

Question for those who have a set of Fishman pups WITH THE POWERPACK.

When you charge the pack, and its green and you plug your guitar in, with a guitar cable do you still see the green light?

The light on my power pack flickers red, and I have to charge the pack for another 20m or so until it turns green… even though I barely used it…

Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

I think it flickers red just because it’s turning on. The thing to worry about is when it blinks red continually, that’s when it’s telling you it’s running out of juice.

I’ve never looked, but nor have I ever plugged it back in after 20 minutes.

My first question is, why are you plugging it back in after 20 minutes? Once green and assuming two pickups wired in, you’ve got 120 or so hours of play time. I charge mine once in a while, usually when I know I’ll be playing in front of people or at rehearsal.

The real question is whether or not it’s holding a charge.

Since this thread has been awakened, has anyone here every started with the disposable battery pack and converted to the power-pack? Just wondering how involved that is since the Ibanez I bought last year came with the former. Rechargeable sounds much more modern!

Oh…good grief. I didn’t realize this was a zombie-thread. From 2019?? Ugh.

As for going from disposable to power pack, it’s all going to depend on the configuration (and space available). What model guitar?

1 Like

It’s this one

And also, “go google it yourself!!!” is a perfectly acceptable answer lol :slight_smile: Just hoping for a handout :slight_smile:

Going to be a question of where would the pack fit…

Fishman | Universal Rechargeable Battery Pack

The existing 9v box rout might hold it, depending on how deep/wide the cavity is with the battery box removed.

Thanks! On the surface it doesn’t look quite as “plug and play” as I’d hoped. I’ll dig a little more, take some measurements and look at the dimensions on the specs provided. One thing that clear, at least from the video, is that are some options as to where you can install it.

What I didn’t mention was a couple months after buying the guitar, one of the Fishman’s died on me. Ibanez was super cool about it since I was well within the warranty period. Still, that experience makes me wonder if I want to put more Fishman stuff in this guitar lol! Honestly I like classic tones more than these modern Humbuckers. I almost never flip my switch that changes the voicing on the pickups as it’s just too harsh to my ears. I also read a really interesting forum post somewhere online about Ibanez’s implementation of these Fishman’s is using only a subset of the options available. Apparently there are coil tap configs, but the way they connected everything (plus not giving a switch to engage it) is absent.

I’ve got a set of the Gristle tones in my Telecaster and L O V E them.

The one thing about the Fishmans - they are tombstone-quiet.

In most cases, I leave them on the 50s setting. Occasionally I’ll opt to flip the switch. With humbuckers, the coil-tapping and switching configurations can get interesting. If you or someone you know can solder, piece of cake.

Maybe sell the moderns - or find someone to swap the moderns for classics with you?

Great ideas! I’m not bad with a soldering iron, but my dad is a retired pro. Maybe if I get adventurous I’ll try some things out! I’ve heard excellent reviews of Fishman in general and some real ravings about the Fluence line. Maybe I got the rare “dud” in my Ibanez.

When I had the vol pot moved on my Ibanez, due to the big bulk of wires and lack of space, I had to give up the coil tap on my fishmans. It’s a pity, but it is what it is, I’ve gotten used to it’s voice now and tbh, with some Eq tweeks and speaker profiles on my kemper, I can dial in more variation than I’m ever gonna need.

1 Like

I used to be a big believer in active pickups, having used EMGs for quite some time, as they make perfect sense to drive long cables (and overdrive various pedals, amps, or whatever). Then, one day, I was looking at my wireless, and thinking: “the signal goes a few feet to an ADC and then over the air… there is now no benefit in being active.” Indeed, active pickups are actually annoying, as they might clip the ADC, hence one has to configure the wireless to reduce its gain! My, how the wireless has changed everything. Indeed, that was when I ordered my RG, my first non-EMG guitar.

1 Like