Floyd Rose Question?

Greetings pickers,

I’ve just acquired a guitar with a Floyd equiped. Forgive the onslaught of obvious questions, that I hope you can help me with. I’ve set it up as best I can…

1. When I rest my hand on the bridge pick - up, it goes sharp. Shall I modify my technique or is there a way around this?
  2. When you hit it hard, it goes out of tune. I know that’s normal, but it’s more pronounced with this trem system??
  3. I adjust the tuning on the bridge itself, however, when fretting open chords, it doesn’t hold its tuning. Is this normal?

If anyone could answer these for me, I’d be greatful. TBH, I see this guitar being sold, as it’s creating more problems than it solves.

1 Like

Hi @enigmatic319.

Are you sure that the tremolo has been setup correctly, and that the strings were stretched sufficiently before locking the nut? This accounts for most of the issues with tuning stability with Floyd Rose type bridges.

It would also be helpful if you could provide the make and model of the guitar, and whether it was purchased new or used. Also, the string gauge on this guitar and the string gauge you’re used to playing on.

If the bridge is correctly set up and in full working order, then it sounds to me like the issues you’re having are the result of poor technique.

Regarding your points:

For most people, in most playing positions, the picking hand doesn’t truly “rest” on the bridge. Gravity pulls the hand down, not horizontally into the bridge. If the bridge is pulling sharp, you’re probably applying force into the body of the guitar. I noticed I had this habit when I first started using floating vibrato systems.

It not necessary to exert force into the guitar with the picking hand. String damping only requires that you lightly touch the strings. Any benefit to stability you might feel from a firmly anchored picking hand is hugely outweighed by the the looseness and mobility that playing without an anchor allows.

With a Floyd Rose type vibrato system, hitting the strings too hard causes the bridge to move and the strings to ring out of tune.

Why do you feel the need to pick that hard?

Can you pick more softly and still play confidently? Do you have issues with string noise if you try to pick softly?

A hard, percussive attack can be achieved by picking more lightly if that’s what you’re trying to achieve. Notes actually have less sustain when you pick with too much force, and in my experience, that amount of force is still much less than the force required for the strings to ring out of tune.

After playing open chords and checking the tuning of the open strings, are they still in tune? if not, your Floyd Rose is poorly setup (or faulty) or your strings are not sufficiently stretched before locking the nut.

If the open strings are in tune and you perceive the chords to be out of tune, you’re most likely fretting too hard and causing the fretted strings to bend sharp, which causes the open strings to flatten.

Many Floyd Rose equipped guitars have jumbo frets, and it’s not unusual for players who are used to feeling the fretboard under their fingers to fret too hard.

I actually think most guitar players fret much too hard; you only need sufficient force for the fretted note to ring out clearly, anything more is unnecessary, and in fact detrimental. Most players who I have let play my guitars then complained that the guitars “kept going out of tune,” even though they were in perfect tune when I checked them.

I could be wrong in my understanding of the situation. It could be that there is some issue with the bridge or the setup which is exaggerating these issues. You haven’t given me much to draw conclusions from.

If I’m right, I’d suggest you keep the guitar and try to develop a lighter touch.

3 Likes

I think Tom is right. Unless you’ve got a cheapo Floyd or its old and the parts are in rough shape then chances are it’s set up improperly or your technique hasn’t adjusted to the style of bridge. Fear not–lots of the technique problems will likely sort themselves out once you’re aware of them and floating trems are notoriously tricky to get the hang of at first. There are a ton of great tutorials for Floyd setup on YouTube and I’d really recommend putting in the effort to learning about it.

I didn’t own a Floyd-equipped guitar until last year (after five years of playing) and now I own four of them and I barely even look at hard tail guitars anymore. They’re just too much fun!

2 Likes

The open chords problem could be the old g string intonation glitch which can be exacerbated by the height of a locking nut.

2 Likes

Hey @Tom_Gilroy,

Yes, I think I do everything on the guitar with a lot of force. I always seem to be tense when I play, because I want it to sound “powerful”. I usually play a hollow body Epiphone, & I bought this guitar: -

http://iheartguitarblog.com/2009/07/review-lag-arkane-am100-and-am1000.html

(It’s the AM1000 at the bottom). Bought it 12 years ago, for a LOT of money & never got on with it. The 'Rose seems like so much work to maintain? And it’s definately a genuine one @element0s; but it’s hard to love.

And @Dissonant_Timbres, I will google that. Thanks for your help guys.

If no luck, I may offer it up to the forum!

1 Like

Hi @enigmatic319.

The bridge on that guitar looks to be a genuine Floyd Rose, though the article says it’s a licensed version. Unless some part is defective or damaged, it shouldn’t have issues with tuning stability provided it’s set up correctly and the strings are sufficiently stretched before locking the nut.

Floating vibrato systems can be a pain. String changes and tuning take much longer than a fixed bridge. With a locking nut, you really have to ensure that the strings are sufficiently stretched. Periodically, it is necessary to check that all screws are tight and to lubricate the contact points at the posts, or performance will suffer.

Based on what you’ve said and the nature of the guitar (jumbo frets as I suspected) and what you’ve said about you’re playing, I think you’re playing much too hard.

I would strongly advocate the development of a lighter touch. Not only will it help you adjust to this guitar, but it would benefit your playing in general.

Sounding “powerful” is not necessarily a consequence of playing with excessive force. It’s possible to achieve a hard, percussive attack that’s part of the “powerful” sound without being so tense and so forceful.

Try to fret with just enough force to ensure that the notes ring out clearly. No more is required, and is detrimental. A lighter and looser fretting hand is also freer, faster and smoother.

With the picking, try to begin with minimal exertion and gradually increase the force until you achieve the tone you want. Experiment with different picking positions, grips and movements and repeat. Make sure you practice amplified and that the fretting hand doesn’t become more tense or forceful as the picking hand becomes more forceful for dynamic effect.

You’ll be shocked how little force is actually required. You can do it!

3 Likes