Forearm rotation question

Hi all,

This may be a bit of a philosophical/confusing question, but I feel like I may not be understanding the idea of forearm rotation properly (or really just picking mechanics in general) and thought this may clear things up for me a bit.

When you’re about to pick a string using a forearm rotation technique, are you supposed to

1. initiate the picking movement with the fingers holding the pick, which follows through with a rotational movement or
  2. initiate the movement with a forearm rotation with the pick hitting the string being a consequence of the rotational movement?

I guess one analogy for this would be a wheel (your picking hand) affixed to an axle (your forearm). You could turn the wheel to make the axle rotate (method 1) or turn the axle to have the wheel rotate as a consequence (method 2).

Hope this makes sense and isn’t too stupid of a question lol. Thanks!

I think it all blends together and uses every joint in subtle ways that are hard to describe.
For me there is not a 123 process, it all works at the same time. Like when you’re writing words or drawing, it’s the same concept, you don’t do one movement followed by another etc… You just move your hand and the joints do their thing automatically.

What joint activities more is all dependent on where the pick is and how much movement is required to pick the string from that point, this can be forearm or wrist or fingers or elbow. It’s not a conscious process, just like writing, you just do it and the subconscious handles it all. You can feel where the pick is in relation to the strings and you just move your hand towards it.

It really is that basic as we all have an intuitive control of our hands/arm. I think you’re over thinking it.

When I use a forarm rotation technique like Gypsy Jazz, there is literally no thinking of what to do first, you just do it and you can feel what is working and what not, thinking about it will cause roadblocks. Like walking, you don’t think about it you just walk and adapt on the fly by feel. I know it’s probably not an answer you’re after but thats my experience.

One thing that can really help is playing in the dark or blindfolded. You go by feel then and not visual. It seriously works.

Hey thanks for the response. I agree that I probably am overthinking it but unfortunately I’ve been trying out different picking mechanics for a while now trying to find something that actually feels natural and fast, but have yet to do so (and am now at the point of getting real surgical with examining my motions since I’m pretty desperate for some kind of breakthrough). The forearm rotation technique is just something I ended up choosing since nothing else really felt better or worse. But I think my problem is that I understand 100% what forearm rotation feels like if I do it in the air unrestricted, but the moment I plant my hand down on the guitar I’m not so sure anymore since you have to factor in the body of your guitar “blocking” one side of that rotational movement.

If you can get a video up will help a lot.
I find the body blocking the rotation to turn it into a more elbow/shoulder/wrist movement. Marty Friedman is a great example as he does a lot of rythem in megadeth.

The forarm will still be rotating to keep an even track across the strings but it’s not something you can see. The soloing is far more rotational though and more visually obvious, but I’m very confident it’s all by feel, and not chosen consciously. It either works and feels good or doesn’t. Same with our writing, we never once thought what joint to move, we just tracked the pen across the paper and adjusted on the fly.

Do you do single escape or double? Who do you naturally play like?

I looked at your profile and see your videos.
You’re really tucked into the guitar, I would suggest taking your hand totally away from the guitar and practicing a fully floating technique. You can then bring it closer after you muscles are trained to activate in the way you want. I can try make a video but idk if my cam works atm, it’s been failing a lot.

I actually have some videos (and in general a lot more information) in a thread I made a few months ago:

Basically, any time I try to just go “all out” with my speed, my hand wants to pronate and I end up with a DSX motion. Although this seems to be my fastest with a tremolo, I’ve been trying to find a USX motion that’s fast and comfortable for me, due to the type of music I like to play which requires a lot of palm muting. Forearm rotation is what I went with after watching some Teemu videos, but it doesn’t seem like I’m even doing that motion properly.

Yeah I just saw them, I’ll make a vid as my cam is working, idk if it’ll help at all but I play very similar to your videos so might help.

1 Like

Got rid of that video as it’s a mess, idk why my cam is recording so poorly.

I find DSX to be easier to palm mute. As your palm is already on the strings. The video I did might be pointless if this is your go to movement lol.

Marty Friedman for example says the reason he does the Gypsy Jazz style is to let the strings ring out and have very little palm muting.

If palm muting is what you want, DSX is probably the best way to get that?

I’m wondering if maybe you’re confusing DSX (downstroke escape) with downward pickslanting? I can’t find an efficient way to palm mute using DSX because only the heel of your thumb is touching the string that you’re already playing on, which makes it really awkward.

I re-watched the forearm rotation “testing your motions” video last night. It seems like my rotational speed is slower/more random than I thought when I actually hold something in my hand, which is probably just from me not being used to ever doing that movement much in daily life. I’m gonna practice trying to get comfortable with that motion every day and see it maybe that helps me when I try to apply it to guitar.

I had a few last night and was rambling in the video sorry lol.
For the dsx muting I just move the palm forward. Same as any muting. I’ve often got my fingers out and across the strings rather than curled up in a fist so that prob helps.

With speed I find having the hand in flextion helps a lot. Like full Gypsy Jazz style. Makes your wrist rotation far more effective.

Doing the full Gypsy Jazz style picking for a few months helped my playing and speed more than anything. If there’s anything I’d really recommend it would be that.
I also practiced the evh tremolo a lot, that also helped my muscles build up and fire relatively fast. I made habits out of it, and do it randomly throughout the day.

Here’s a better vid. As I say, practicing that way of picking helped me a lot. I believe it will help you too if you put the time into it. 2022 01 19 17 49 54 - YouTube

Though reading the rest of your other post, I see thats been recommended already :stuck_out_tongue: Did you try it?

1 Like

Practice rest strokes where you play a few rhythm on one string, then end with the pick “trapped” and resting against the next string.