Found a package on my front step this morning while leaving for work

It came!!! Christmas is already here for me!!!

2 Likes

It’s definitely the gift that keeps on giving!

After being sent on an impromptu cross-Canada roundtrip by UPS, mine finally found me.

Glad I had already seen the “Magnet Maintenance” article, as a screw on one of the long rods had come undone, and a few screws on the other three rods were just a hair loose. 5 minutes with a pair of screwdrivers and all is well. For now I’ve resisted the urge to give the screw threads a little Loctite Purple, but time will tell.

Sorry about that! When we finally start selling these individually from the site in much lower quantities, we’ll check the screws on every unit that goes out. But we just wanted to get these out the door as fast as we could given the waiting.

1 Like

I’m just glad you had the guide up promptly, so I was 100% confident I was doing it right. Given a choice between 5 minutes of tinkering or a much slower rollout, I’ll take the tinkering.

@Troy,

My magnet is hard to pull apart (to put the phone in), as per the below. there is quite a bit of play between the pieces so the action isn’t smooth. Ultimately, its impossible to pull it open with one hand whilst it is mounted on the guitar.

Any ideas?

edit: it doesn’t look like it in the video, but I’m puuting way more force to open it than expected - more than what the magnet could put up with to stay on the guitar. Its definitely the play between the parts - If I place on a table, the action is smooth with no rubbing

Mine was a little tight/sticky too and I had similar issues early on. I put some petroleum jelly on the shafts. As dirty as that sounds ( :smiling_imp: ), it worked great.

lol, just spat/dribbled my tea all over the place!

In my experience, if you are advised to lube up, its probably best to do as you are told! :rofl:

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any issues with smoothness of operation across units, and in general, the injection molding process has turned out to be way, way more consistent in this respect than 3D printing. But it could be that there is still some variation in part tolerance.

Some play is necessary or the parts won’t open at all. This was something we worked on quite a bit to try and minimize. Note that if you add more fingers or grip at a higher spot on one or both sides, operation is affected significantly. The higher you place any fingers, the less functional it becomes:

If you test by gripping only on the grips with only a single finger per grip as per this clip, does it work any better?

Hi Troy, thanks for the prompt response.

The only way I can get it to be smooth is to pull down on the string side to make sure its flat (see vid below) which would be fine, but it wont stay mounted when I do that one handed There is some rubbing marks visible (as per phot below), which I would expect over time, but its uneven.

I’m not following what you’re saying about the locking strap, but the short answer is that if you’re gripping it the way I am in the clip that I posted, and it’s not opening, then it’s not working the way it’s supposed to. We’ll send you another one — we’ll get that out shortly.

In the mean time, I’d try some some silicone-based spray lubricant if you can pick some up. Something like this:

Basically anything silicone would be a good choice. I wouldn’t use anything oil-based as that may degrade the plastic over time. Silicone may affect the rubber but you would only be applying it to the red plastic in a very small amount. Once you do that and wipe off the excess, you should be fine.

If that makes it work better, no worries, then you’ll have two!

sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was just saying that on the side that has the string bit, If I push down on that to make it flat when pulling, it gets smoother.

yup, one finger on each side in the ‘finger slots’.

You are a legend, thank you! I’ll give that a go to see me through.

Will that make my playing twice as good??? :wink::grin: I’ll crash test the ‘lubed version’. If it looks like it will have some life left, I’ll donate to someone with worse picking than me, or someone on the CTC scholarship maybe?

Have a wonderful Christmas Troy and thanks to you and your team.

Hi folks,

I just received my Magnet (yaaaay!) and noticed that one of the screw holes is empty and the long screw and spring that I guess should go there came separately in the box. Is this normal or are there any instructions to setup the screw and spring?

There is a video on troygrady.com that shows you - its really easy.

Hi Steve-

Yes it’s “normal” in the sense that he parts haven’t failed, they just vibrated loose during shipping. A minute with a pair of screwdrivers and you’re good to go:

If you’re a DIY type and feel like applying a little locking compound to the threads while you’re at it, you can probably safeguard against this happening in the future. Not clear if this is necessary but we’ve told the factory to consider this option for the next run if/when we do one.

1 Like

If this happens, I’d like to volunteer and would be forever grateful!!

Rules are rules. First you have to do a “pick off” with the other candidates and you only get the magnet if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you’re worse at picking :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I guess no one else wants to see my new 3 way pickslanting technique ! Gotta sell my secrets to someone else!

2 Likes

I can do 4 way pick slanting, where no pickstrokes escape… beat that!!

3 Likes

Yes but I’m really bad at mine so I’ll get the magnet!!!

1 Like