Fretting-finger joint hyperextension

When I play scalar things, the DIP joint of the ring finger on my left (fretting) hand will sometimes hyper-extend a bit. I think it messes with my left-right hand synchronization and may also be preventing me from gaining speed. I don’t have this problem with any other fingers, including the pinky.

To try to correct it, I’ve been concentrating on keeping the finger curled and fretting with the finger tip. I supplement my guitar practice by using a Prohands finger exerciser to build strength, being sure to keep that DIP joint on the ring finger flexed/curled. I’m fine on the exerciser, but on the guitar I find the intermittent hyper-extension difficult to overcome during speedy lines. On long notes and bends, it’s not an issue.

Has anyone else here experienced fretting finger hyper-extension? I believe Troy mentioned “collapsing pinky syndrome” in an interview somewhere. I think he was talking about this same issue that I’m experiencing with my ring finger.

Correct me if you think my eyes deceive me, but I’m pretty sure I see Paul Gilbert hyper-extending both the second and third finger, from time to time, during the intro of his Intense Rock instructional video. That’s proof right there that it is possible to have great speed and accuracy despite hyper-extension.

Nevertheless, how big of detriment do you think such hyper-extension is, potentially, to speed and accuracy? Perhaps Gilbert is an exception. Do other top players hyper-extend? Would you say that I should put in great effort to overcome it if my goal is to play fast runs at warp speed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don’t think you need the grip strength trainer.

If you can show me a video of this occurring in your playing I might be able to weigh in. I can’t really give any meaningful input from the text.