Fretting hand technique

Anyone know good lessons or instructions on the fretting hand: thumb placement and movement when ascending descending scales, when to change hand position shifting or stretching , strength building with weak fingers, synching tips, chord changing effeciency, pivot finger, guide finger, minimal movement practicing, relaxation, etc, etc. I think in depth fretting hand analysis is very relevant along with picking hand analysis.

Thanks mucho!

3 Likes

Honestly, watch some good quality Satriani videos, and really pay attention to what he’s doing. I had some RSI issues in my youth, and watching his fretting hand up close, especially when he shifted from the “blues” style thumb-over-the-neck to “classical” style thumb-behind-the-neck position for wider stretches, was really illuminating for me.

His “Guitar Secrets” book is quite good too, for practice ideas. It’s a collection of all his old columns from Guitar for the Practicing Musician.

Of course, you can also just make up your own drills - if a finger feels weak, find some way to challenge it.

1 Like

There’s lots of different techniques. But I’ve switched over to Rick Graham’s fretting mechanic, and it works well. He has lots of videos where he shares his insights on this.

1 Like