Fun new custom guitar

Built a custom guitar with Warmoth. Came out great. Super excited as it’s “Frankenstein” of all my favorite parts of all my guitars rolled into one. Also semi-customized my strat to make it playable for my picking style (moved the volume knob and swapped the neck). Highly recommend building your own.

9 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes:

How does the pickup selection work?

Also show the back!

1 Like

The back is black, simple open trem cavity

Selector is like a PRS, the standard three Les Paul settings, and two coil splitter so you can get single coil strat tones too. Super versatile

Looks awesome! Did you do anything besides assemble the parts/electronics? Paining/finishing etc? Are you happy with the sound/playability? What does a project like this cost, if you don’t mind my asking?

oooo that’s a beauty! Nice axe, man! hahaha I am finally happy with all of my guitars so i can safely say i won’t build one! Well… I might modify this junker that I have laying around…

1 Like

You can get online quotes from Warmoth, and then you’d presumably get a quote from a luthier for assembly.

These guitars are great but have low resale value.

Hey! I picked all the woods, finishes, and the electronics. They send it to you in boxes. My buddy is an engineer and a killer guitar tech so he built it and set it up the way I prefer(super bendy/slinky). I know nothing about setting up guitars, I was complaining to my engineer buddy that I wished all my guitars played like one of my favorites, he clued me in that any quality guitar can be set up to feel however you prefer. I always thought it was just luck that one felt better than another. Silly me. He did the work on the Strat and it now plays like a proper shredder. He puts shims under the neck, etc. above my pay grade.

This Warmoth one plays incredibly well. It’s super high quality. Cost is about $2,500 all in. Breakdown:
$1000 for the body
$550 for the neck
$450 or so for all the hardware
$500 was the fee to build and set up.
You can certainly build one for less, I went all in on picking the specific quilt top, birdseye maple neck, etc.

And yes, it probably has no resale as it is a “no name” brand on the secondary market. But I love it and my kids can figure out what to do with it when I’m pushing up the daisies.

3 Likes