Gabrielthorn progress thread

First question that comes to mind:

does the solo actually require you to play legato for so long? If not, why would you do it? :slight_smile: IIRC there’s quite a lot of stretching involved so I would not start doing huge reps if said stretches don’t feel comfortable.

More generally, probably worth revising some of @Tom_Gilroy 's videos on the fretting hand posture. It may be that you can find a different setup which makes the stretches less uncomfortable

PS: I’m pretty sure you are sounding amazing already :smiley:

2 Likes

I just watched a live recording of it:

I’ve never understood how Nuno gets any stretches going with his guitar hanging below his manhood. Looks comfortable and effortless though.

1 Like

Believe me when I say it sounds awful at the moment :smiley: And it’s nowhere near the original tempo. I’ll spend some time today watching Tom’s videos. Know I have to face the fact that my picking hand with it’s moderate speed is way ahead of my fretting hand, I simply can’t play these legato arpeggios even at mid-tempos.

Also, does anyone have any clue how Nuno would pick the part starting at 0:40 here?

It sounds like this to me, pick strokes will work for your DSX:

------------12-15-p-12-
-13-12-h-13------------
 U  D        U  D
1 Like

I came to a similar conclusion except that I can hear only one pickstroke on the lower string. Who knows, it’s really hard to understand his picking patterns without actually seeing him playing his stuff because of the heavy muting and percussive tone.

I know what you mean. Not sure what your transcribing method is, but I’ve been doing this non stop lately:

When I use that approach and loop it on those six notes pretty slowly I’m pretty sure I hear 2 pick strokes per string. That could be that I want to hear 2 pick strokes though because it makes for a really nice repeatable pattern lol! Oh, and also, Nuno is sorta sloppy on the first few notes. Hearing things like that always make me feel better about my own playing lol!

Nuno is probably so busy with all the other things he’s awesome at (arranging, writing, killer vocal harmony parts, looking like a badass) that I doubt he spent as much time thinking about that part as I just did figuring it out haha!

1 Like

Yeah, the first couple of notes are sloppy there but the rest … dear god. Tempo is also killer, it’s not a short run at all and it’s around 146 bpm 6s.

1 Like

Yeah…he’s such a ridiculous player. I saw Extreme live around 2010 or 2011 and there’s no “recording magic” with them. They are the real deal. It was probably one of the best live performances I’ve ever seen. I’m actually more interested in vocal harmonies than I am in guitar playing, and theirs were SO good. Both the chord voicings (the writing/arranging) and their live performance of it. His playing was phenomenal too.

I heard a couple of guys in the restroom at the venue just gushing over Nuno’s playing. One of them said (and I’ll never forget this) “Nuno is Eddie Van Halen multiplied by Brian May”.

I don’t think that math quite checks out, because an action like that would have caused the earth to implode…but I take the gentleman’s point :slight_smile: Nuno is one badass player.

2 Likes

Definitely, I just kinda arranged it to whatever sounded good to me.

I found a video of me working on the end that leads up into the arpeggio. Give me the word, and I’ll post it to lower the bar, lol.

1 Like

Go ahead, I’m curious.

1 Like

I should work on it more, the random dead notes are distressing. For me, the harmonics are by far the worst. I think I’d rather just comp something there.

2 Likes

My attempt doesn’t sound any better, so we could play a unison :smiley: I find it easier to pick more notes than Nuno, but I want to focus on building some left hand strength here.

1 Like

Found another one where I messed up the alternate picked portion, but I think I recorded it to remember the pick strokes I settled on for the arpeggio (I’m guessing because of the camera angle and the reps I did):

2 Likes

This is what Nuno definitely doesn’t alternate pick on live footages. It’s crazy hard for me to play with legato :tired_face:

Hi,

Check this link out for Mutha:

2 Likes

Thank you!! So what @joebegly suggested is correct. However, I don’t think the second part is correct, Nuno never played 3 string sweep arpeggios, he always played that stuff with string skips and legato.

1 Like

The first fragment, very uneven, and 35bpm shy of the original tempo :neutral_face:

And drilling the first arpeggio at 120 bpm:

Looks and sounds good, this is one of my favourite solos. You’re right the second section is string skipping with legato Anton plays it wrong.

I’m not sure exactly how much legato Nuno uses but I think it’s a lot more than it sounds as he’s really strong with it and also uses muting so it’s really hard to hear exactly what he’s doing. A lot of live videos shoe him barely picking at all (play with me solo).

I don’t think Nuno has ever played this piece live and I’m guessing the reason for that is that he possibly can’t.

1 Like

I agree, he’s barely picking anything live, and still sounds like he does pick a lot, but that’s because his amp setup. Still, his stuff is very fast and demanding on the left hand. Now I’m dreaming about great left hand speed, not picking speed :smiley:

2 Likes

Today I spent a bit of time on the infamous Still of the night run.

As I’ve become aware that my left hand is tripping me over more than my moderately fast right hand, I tried to re-work both the fretting and the picking of the lick. I’ve also changed one note where I repeat sixes before hitting highest note before the descending 4s run, but I don’t mind about it.

I use hammer one’s on the occasions when it would be a string shift after an upstroke on the ascending parts, it’s more than enough work to focus on my left hand already :smiley: The most challenging part is the B-13-15-17 | E-14-17p14-| pull off, my pinky usually gets screwed there.

Far from perfect, but getting closer I think. I also rested a beat longer before the final bends :stuck_out_tongue:

Slowly:

1 Like