Gabrielthorn progress thread

I just try to be on time and well synced, it doesn’t always happen as it seems :smiley: Probably a side-effect of my neurosis due to having a perfectionist mom.

First attempt of this lick, a little rushed but getting there, one day. I hope :smiley: Time to learn songs and build a repertoire before achieving the Train of thought speeds (hopefully it will happen in a few years). I’ll have my audition for a local hard rock cover band next week, I’ll play Black dog from Led Zeppelin and No more tears from Ozzy with them. Wish me good luck, I really want to get out of my room and play for real.

3 Likes

good luck man! you have more than enough shred for something like this, I’m sure.

If I can give a suggestion, I’d spend the remaining time practicing your rhythm/timing to a drum track or similar. Record yourself, listen back and evaluate / correct. But of course, knowing you I should also say: don’t be a perfectionist.

Often it’s how we play the “simple” rhythm parts that really makes the difference when playing with a band.

You can do it!!!

1 Like

Thank you and thank you for your suggestion. I’ll definitely won’t spend more than one day learning the solos, even if not 100% accurate, I want to focus more on playing the riffs and my timing, as I’ve never really played anything below the 12th fret, and my shred time will be about … 20 seconds max/song. The rest should be smooth and not ostentatious by any means :smiley:

2 Likes

I honestly think you could just autopilot the playing at this point, I’d focus a little more (actually a ton more) on stage presence and vibe. @tommo mentioned the rhythm stuff (which makes sense since you’ll likely be playing that the most), but the cover bands I’ve been a part of or seen try to get a good vibe going so people can have fun. I can almost guarantee it’s gonna be more important to them to get someone that looks like they’re having a good time and is a good hang than someone that plays the parts dead accurate.

1 Like

Is 41 and aggressively average at guitar too old to start looking for a jam band? Asking for a friend… :smiley:

What everyone else has said. You’ve got more than enough skill to pickup pretty much anything. Like @Pepepicks66 said, if you can get a good vibe going and be a good bandmate, I’m sure you’ll do well.

1 Like

@Pepepicks66 Yes, that’s what I’m doing, I don’t really care about my technique at this point, as it’s not developing any further beyond the 190-200 mark, I think there’ll be an other milestone when it will all click and I can make further progress. The singer lady is really picky about covering classics, she wants every note to be spot on, so I try to be as accurate with the Zeppelin song as I can.

@JB_Winnipeg It’s never too late I think, as we have all missed the boat, so let’s have fun and stop worrying about getting old and being average :smiley:

@anon25405869 I agree on this, the more confident I feel doing something, the less stress is involved in the performance. I remember the old school days when I was performing poems or literature pieces on competitions and how different it was when I didn’t have to worry about remembering 10 pages of text.

1 Like

Just a quick update: the band asked me to join them.

8 Likes

Can you tell me what song is this?

1 Like

Now you gotta post gig videos

3 Likes

Hell yeah dude!

-adding this line to exceed minimum post length limits-

1 Like

List of people in the Cracking the Code forum who are surprised:

list of surprised people.pdf (34.1 KB)

By the way, are you going to play classic rock with this band? I think it’s one of the best genres for having fun with a band.

4 Likes

LMAO the work you did on this ‘bit’ isn’t nothing :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s quite an extensive list, but I definitely have problems with my vision :sweat_smile:

The band plays classical rock songs from the 60-70-80s. They wanted to add some heavier and more complex songs to their repertoire but the current guitarist was a limiting factor. Now they have one more limiting factor in the band :joy:

Yeah their drummer has to learn to keep up…

1 Like

No, I don’t think that’s the case :smiley:

What I noticed after our 3rd rehearsal is that the other guitarist sounds really sloppy without the band. He’s not a technical guy but he has great stage presence and he also knows at least 200 songs by heart if not more. But with the band he sounds all good.

Still trying to get comfortable with this speeds, without much luck. I feel like it’s never going to be clean and effortless, no matter how hard I try. Tempo is 144 bpm.

1 Like

I picked up my new baby today.

6 Likes

Nice LP! Just curious, but did you consider any non-Gibson manufacturers?

Gibson was my dream, but I tried other brands as well. I loved one of the LP shaped Schecters, it had a very similar tone to the Gibson, but the color scheme looked awful in my opinion. Other guitars had the same shape but very different tone and neck, they felt like an Ibanez in disguise sound-wise.

I already have an issue with the guitar however: I always hear a squealing noise on high gain tones when touching the strings with my palm using the bridge pickup.

1 Like
2 Likes