Gabrielthorn progress thread

Can’t go wrong with an LP ! Unless you want a whammy bar. I hope you get that squelling sorted tho.

I’ve gotta say tho dude this thread has me jealous of your playing and your guitar collection. Its got me down.

I’ve got 5 guitars collected over a number of years but the only genuine nice one is my Gibson USA Flying V and that’s half broken.

The others are cheap copies although I love my squire which is 30 years old, sure it’s got dodgy buzzes here and there but it plays so nice. My old beat up cheap Washburn has a cracked tuning peg. My cheap LP copy is actually nice to play but has a neck problem.

I see you have a Satch Ibanez a PIA and now an LP and your playing is amazing.

I got made redundant last year during COVID so I can’t even pay my mortgage at the moment let alone think about buying a new guitar.

But if I hadn’t been made redundant I wouldn’t of picked up the guitar again. At least I can make a few bucks playing on the street when I lose my house haha.
Every cloud has a silver lining etc.
Anyway maybe next week I’ll get a great new job and I’ll be playing something as cool as you and as well as you soon.
Sorry if I brought the party down, lovely guitar I hope you have many happy times together.

2 Likes

fwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh that’s a nice looking guitar

You deserve it, with the amount of work you’ve been putting in and joining a band too, hell yeah have at it!

2 Likes

Interesting, wondering if it’s a problem with the wax potting.

Anyways, I hope it lasts a while and doesn’t have any unfortunate headstock-snapping incidents…

1 Like

@SlyVai I’m really sorry to hear what you’ve been going through during the pandemic. I hope things get better with the job situation, I’ve seen many people I know losing their job and gettin into a downward spiral recently. It’s a shame. My life is not bread and butter either but at least I got a few nice guitars recently.

@Pepepicks66 I’ll bring the guitar to my luthier today so we’ll see what is happening. It’s a custom shop and the neck is bit different, it’s a 5 piece maple, hopefully it won’t crack and my headstock won’t break either.

@JB_Winnipeg Well, I’m not putting any hard work into this, so I’m not sure if I deserve it, but yes, it looks gorgeous :sweat_smile:

@anon25405869 I was surprised how comfortable the neck feels despite it’s a 50s neck. It feels amazing to touch.

1 Like

@gabrielthorn, thanks bro, sorry I feel bad for posting that now I was feeling a bit dejected, just ignore it. I hope you have some great times with your new best friend.

1 Like

No harm’s done, really. I feel for your situation.

As I have a Les Paul now, it’s time to learn some Sykes stuff. A little below original tempo:

And collapsing at the original tempo:

I might set my action a little lower as it’s quite high at the moment.

2 Likes

That’s a cool sounding run, don’t think I’ve heard it before, or whatever song it’s from…

1 Like

It’s from Still of the night by Whitesnake. John played and recorded almost the entire album but david botoxdale or cowarddale sacked the entire band before the tour. So they never hit the stage with the original lineup, and I never heard any of the impostors the primadonna hired afterwards doing justice to John’s solos and insane riffing.

@Pepepicks66 I highly recommend listening to the 1987 album by Whitesnake or the debut album of Blue murder with John Sykes on vocals and guitar. It’s a badass album.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that’s the de facto Les Paul sound. Never did check out Whitesnake, I guess it’s about time. Nice playing in that clip. I’ve been gravitating towards fatter guitar necks lately, sold my Les Paul Classic and sometimes regret it. So damn heavy (weight-wise, not tone) for live playing.

1 Like

Thank you. I hope it will clean up over time. My back should get used to it, otherwise I’ll perform sitting :sweat_smile:

John only played on the 1987 album, his successors played on different guitars. He also played on 2 Mesa Coliseum heads on this album, but with 6 6L6 tubes in the pre-amp. The amps both had a 180W output.

1 Like

That run is wicked. Funny I was thinking about learning Still of the night this week after relistening to it and being blown away by that run. I started with the riff today so didn’t get too far tho. Good work.

1 Like

Which tab are you using ? I found the songster tab which looks good but you seem to start higher up or maybe just start on the E string instead of the tab saying to start on the A.

1 Like

I’m not using tabs, I transcribed this with my teacher a few months ago but haven’t started learning it. For the rhythm parts I’d look around on YouTube for covers (there are some with tabs) and fix it in the end with Ben Eller’s discoveries

I see ok, well I think I’ve got it after checking out a few tabs online and slowing down the song from the album. Seems to be some weirdness in some of the tabs missing notes and he hits 2 strange notes which don’t fit into the scale but they’re there on the record for sure.

I’m starting on the A string 7 9 10 12 I guess you are starting on the E string 12 14 15 17 or going straight to 12 on A. I might try starting on E as that position change from 9th fret to 12th fret seems too unnatural.

It’s actually got some similaraties to an exercise I do so hopefully I can play it at somewhere close to the original, probably not though, I seem to have gone backwards with my picking lately.

Post a video when you’ve got it licked your LP sounds great.

Sorry, I didn’t get what you mean :sweat_smile: What would you like to see on a video?

I got the run with my teacher by slowing down the isolated guitar track, there are many hidden things in the song which are otherwise impossible to hear. In the shred part you can clearly hear it’s sloppy as hell and sometimes falls out of the rhythm, also hitting notes which don’t belong to the scale, but come on, it sounds amazing in a mix and it’s not a slow lick at all.

Hey you’re already playing it really well so no need for another video.

If you’re ok with it would be great see the tab of what you’re playing exactly so I can compare to mine but don’t worry if not, I can probably work it out from your video if I need to.

I watched the 1990 Monsters Of Rock Whitesnake set last week and they butchered the SOTN solo. Vandenberg played it and didn’t even try to play what Sykes plays, he just started trying to noodle lower than Sykes does and was 1 bar too early but hey, each to his own, Vandenberg was a very good guitarist technically.

I actually remember listening to that set live on BBC Radio 1 on a hot summer night, I had been playing guitar for a year at that point I would think, and was rubbish but Vai was my hero even then. Nothing’s changed 30 years later. :thinking:I’m still rubbish.

1 Like

I’d stab every cameramen in the universe like these in the eye with a fork, I can’t believe they are always showing the drummer, the bass player or the rhythm guitarist when it’s solo time. Anyways, I was never really into Wankerberg’s stuff, and despite I think Vai is an alien guitarist, they just don’t sound as massive and heavy even with two guitaris as Sykes does. It’s really a shame they never toured with the lineup which recorded the 1987 album.

Haha Vandenberg got upstaged by Vai over and over in this show. I remember feeling sorry for him I seem to remember he broke his hand or wrist or something and couldn’t play for a year.

And I agree the sound of the band isn’t as powerful it should be with 2 guitarists. Two lead guitarists that both want to noodle and not play rhythm parts, so when they do play rhythm both their guitars are set up to with so much scoop that it sounds too thin.

Rock in Rio 85 they had (almost) the same lineup that recorded the 87 album.

Syke’s playing (and tone) evolved much in the interim but you can still see him use quite a few of the licks and runs that he went on to play on the album.

3 Likes

I’m loving this recording, I have my Sykes period every July, I just listen to 1987 all day and Blue Murder stuff, and keep wondering how someone can play those ryhthm parts and sing at the same time.

This is an other good live footage always makes me want to put down the guitar:

2 Likes