George Bellas Airborne Solo (with less barring)

I’ve been polishing this up for a while - one thing with this is the intro prior to the “2 string sweep” section is not barred at all, including the three string sweeps which would normally be barred by the index finger,

Instead it’s fingered as numbered here - which is way harder, I think if I were playing it live I’d start with an open high e string sweep for the ascending three string section but I’m trying to get these shapes down:

Here’s the video, still not polished but it’s coming along:

5 Likes

Dude! Stellar playing! I especially dig the part where you’re blazing through those 2 string economy picking licks. I’ve always wanted to add those to my playing. Any advice for me there?

1 Like

They’re kinda of weird to get used to, but it’s a “key turning” forearm rotation motion, you’re kind of just quickly changing pickslant.

So to start, have the pick close to neutral pickslant between two strings. Here I’m between the G and B string, so I press through B, the higher of the two strings, into a downward pickslant by rotating my forearm until the pick moves through the string, and then immediately change direction by rotating the forearm back, but now you keep rotating past neutral, until you pick the lower of the two strings - now you’re in an upward pickslant. Immediately change direction again to get the second stroke on the low string and keep bouncing that back and forth.

Here’s the first couple bars of the passage I’m playing to mess with

If I remember I’ll try and get some video of my picking hand on that part tomorrow.

1 Like

Awesome, man. I’m excited to try it out. Thanks!