George Benson's student explains the importance of accents

Hi fellow shredders,

I’ve come across this quite interesting Youtube channel where Peter Farrell, one of George Benson’s private students, explains quite interesting details on all things guitar technique based on GB’s style.

Particularly, I found this video where he explains how GB relies on his left hand to effectively produce accents very insightful. Hope you enjoy it too:

3 Likes

Wow there are places where he does something I can’t think of anywhere else I’ve seen - visibly driving the motion with his rotator cuff. His flexed wrist and elbow appear locked but he’s clearly pushing down into the body and getting USX. It’s not all the time. Sometimes he does wrist flex/ext instead to get the same trajectory. Sorry that’s a little off topic, but it’s pretty interesting I think :slight_smile:

EDIT: wow he even calls that out around 4:27, I wrote the above while watching and hadn’t gotten there yet

1 Like

Yeah, I think his content is pretty solid. An amazing technique with a lot of musical fluency.

And yes, I’ve noticed that shoulder move too! It’s as if he were punching the guitar with a right hook or something. Quite unusual but effective for that kind of phrasing.

2 Likes

Oh man, yeah I’ve watched a few of his videos in the past. While I’m not too into the particular technique he uses, he’s got some really excellent stuff about various pentatonic substitutions and such. Killer player.

2 Likes

fwiw for Benson fans, Peter and GB apparently have a new lick book together with a bunch of these tasty things, I haven’t checked it out but it looks kind of fun. Likely all USX stuff as that’s “the bag” here. I do think it’s pretty cool how people like GB, Dan Wilson, Cecil Alexander can create SO much vocabulary with basically just USX, given the other complicated nuances of the genre.

Peter Farrel seems to have dedicated a large % of his professional career to GB-style instructional materials. It’s fun playing, kind of wild to me to have such a large vocabulary of this specific type of stuff.