Getting Back Into It

Hi, my name is Ian, I’m 40 years old and have been following Troy’s content for years now but have never really been active on the forums. I’ve been playing for decades sporadically but seem to always get frustrated or see only marginal improvement. I’ve recently been waking up early and practicing every day before work for a month and really focusing on technique exercises and trying to fix and clean up a lot of my deficiencies. I’m looking to surround myself with like-minded guitar technique nerds that can help me grow and learn to shred. I recently bought an Ibanez RG550 Genesis and look forward to posting some videos on my DWPS technique welcoming any honest feedback.

5 Likes

I look forward to seeing your progress. : )

Welcome Ian! I can totally relate to your position. I’ve been playing for years but have never acquired the technique to emulate the players I love and I am constantly frustrated when I can’t play those fast licks. I only discovered CTC last week when I stumbled across the series on YouTube and Troy’s narrative right from the 80s totally resonated as that was my teen era. I never managed to break through the way he did but I’m trying damn hard now! Just posted my first vid to apply trem picking on one string and I was surprised how fast but comfortable it was. Long way to go but this forum is full of people that are willing to help - just read some of the posts, it’s amazing. Looking forward to finding a way to shred with you!