Getting let down

Since I have started college and now uni, I have been let down by so many people it’s crazy.
I’ve become so beaten down by it, learning full songs only to have someone bail or not learn their parts. It’s really got me down over the past 5 years.

The amount it’s happened has been very confusing to me, as if I’m dealing with people who just want to look good on stage and not put any work into the music.
One of the main reasons I got into music was to play with other people, but almost everyone I’m come across apart from one or two have been so flippant, uncommunicative, and down right ignorent it’s just floored me.

I must be very ignorent myself if I expect people to actually put some effort in and it rarely happens. :slightly_frowning_face:
Is this the norm? Have you experienced it?

I’ve experienced it. It’s incredibly frustrating, and when you suggest something to help them improve, like lessons and such, they view you as some sort of asshole, which always strikes me as weird.

I firmly believe ego shouldn’t get in the way of self-improvement.

Anyhow, I found the best way to fix these issues is whichever project you’re doing is that by the second rehearsal that they haven’t learned it, they’re out.

And it’s not ignorant to expect the people you want to make music with to all be on the same page and putting in effort. That’s perfectly reasonable in a musical act.

My current musical project, we’re all on the same page, and it’s SO NICE to have people that actually practice their parts and come in prepared.

2 Likes

I can tell you that it is really hard to connect with winners (finishing power, intelligence, competence, diligence, etc.) in any industry, and one must do the best possible by means of recommendations, track record, etc., it’s a really hard problem. I suspect that the music industry is similar to everything else, if not even worse (more flakes). Indeed, one can look at the history of musicians that ended up in great bands, and they often had a long path before they got together with the right people… and even then, one can see so many stories of great bands that explode because of irresponsible behavior from one or more members.

Best of luck in your search for the right people to work with!

1 Like

This is basically why I bought get good drums, logic, and started making “band” music myself

1 Like

whats get good drums?

GetGood Drums is a midi programmed drum software that uses real samples. Whether or not you’re a fan of Periphery, one has to acknowledge their drum production is stellar and that’s what you get with this product. Tuned and recorded in Nolly’s (ex bassist, engineer) studio. I’m a bit of a shill for them haha but it’s a great tool. I only have the original kit they put out, but they have newer versions that include a “turbo” knob where you can go all the way from raw drum sounds to a fully processed drum mix. A very useful tool if you don’t have the patience to figure out mixing drums and just want to write

3 Likes

I’ve been in and out of bands for years, it isn’t my main career, but I feel all your pain. Keep playing , writing songs and getting better, and try again when you are recharged. Another thing I’ve experienced is, bands, especially good ones, don’t last long,it is like thing implode right when it gets good. I’ll never understand it…

1 Like

Yeah because everyone has different priorities and wants in life, and sometimes people just suck!

I’m with everyone else. It may not as organic as you are hoping for, but online collaborations are a thing, and it’s a big world. This can also lead to a more organic band later as well.

What you need to do is just get some stuff together and then look for online collaboration. Send each other files, or make a demo yourself and then shop to see who is interested. If you piece together something in this fashion you will get a better pool of players. There are plenty of vst drum software available like real drummer or MT power drum kit (which is free) and plenty of YouTube reference videos on how to achieve realistic sounding programmed midi drums. Download MT power drums 2.0, reaper a 75 dollar glarry bass (or borrow one) and go at it.

1 Like

These are the exact reasons I decided to just write and record my own stuff. I do miss the feeling of jamming with a full band, but usually people haven’t practiced, didn’t bother listening or learning the songs.
The last band I played in, the other guitar player still hadn’t learnt a fairly simple song I had put together one year later. So I quit that and decided I’d do my own thing.

As mentioned, online collabs are definitely something to experiment with. Although my most recent online collab guy seems to have vanished, and I mean that literally :man_shrugging:

1 Like