Glossary Thread (Dumb Question or 3 or 4 or more!)

Okay, just curious - maybe y’all can help me out on a couple of things here. They don’t seem obvious, but I might not be looking in the right spots to get the proper definition of what’s being conveyed lol Thanks in advance, everyone.

Displacement. What the heck is that? I watched the video and I am a bit confused. And more to the point, is there an advantage or disadvantage to it?

Mixed Escape vs Double Escape VS 2 Way Pickslanting Okay, I “think” I get this… but please correct me if I am wrong; double escape is when one is using both escapes DS/US to create a kind of curved pickstroke that enables some fancy-dancy 1nps type alternate picking. 2 way picklsanting is a side effect of this at times that facilitates the double escape, but “can” be it’s own thing or not visually present at all. I think Gambale does this actually, but I’m not sure. And mixed escape is where you use DBX when necessary, USX when necessary, and DSX when necessary; kind of a throwing everything you have including the kitchen sink at an issue?

Pickslanting So for absolute clarity, pickslanting isn’t so critical as once thought; it’s now about how the pick escapes the string, and the motions/setup used to do so, yes?

I had a response on the bottom of this thread with a tab example. Maybe that helps?

Advantage? To me it’s in the same family as swiping because it allows us to remain in single escape mode, but play phrases that would otherwise require…any of the other motions you asked about :slight_smile:

Disadvantage…I’m sure someone can prove me wrong but I can’t see it being used as convincingly on a clean tone and definitely not acoustic. Since the ‘displaced’ note is essentially a hammer from nowhere and we hear the muted note happen simultaneously. I feel like the extra compression and sustain we get from overdrive is what really sells it. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe there’s someone who can do this on acoustic and make it sound unnoticeable.

All these are in answered in the Primer. I’ll try to give a summary then include links.

I think this is mostly correct.

DBX === curved picking. There is an escape on every single stroke.

2 Way Pickslanting, Gambale is a great example. The slant changes at strategic points and does not remain constant. Sweeping/economy is a perfect example because if you need to ascend and descend, you’ll get garage spikes on one direction if you just choose one slant and keep it the whole time. To make it smooth, you need to slant “2 ways”

Mixed escape is when there is a primary escape motion but the player occasionally needs the other escape. They have a “helper” motion that facilitates the change

I think this is Mixed escape in practice. It’s almost all DSX but you can see before the lick repeats he needs some way to clear the B string. So the helper motion facilitates that. Teemu example queued up (but the whole thing is worth a watch since all the playing in it is fantastic)

I think this is correct too. The slant is largely a side effect of the setup/joint motion. Though, in the cool new “RDT” section, Troy shows how from one basic setup, you can access USX, DSX and DBX seemingly by slightly adjusting the slant of the pick (pronation/supination) and also the grip.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for clarifying man! I was “pretty sure” I understood, but wanted to make sure! Cool. Much appreciated!

It would be super handy to have a glossary page on the website with brief descriptions of all the various terms that are thrown around and maybe links to the relevant articles/videos.

2 Likes