Gojira - Esoteric Surgery cover

I think I’ll never learn how to get good tone and mix.
There are some errors and playing could be a lot tighter, I think quad tracking everything was more of a problem than it was worth it.
As always please let me know if there is anything I shoud improve on in the future.

6 Likes

Great work and great playing. That USX tremolo looks totally effortless.

That’s always been my experience. For the heavy stuff, I think that 2 well played tracks are the best possible sound. That’s of course just my opinion, and in the context of the sound I like :slight_smile:

We can always make stuff better, and A/B listening to my stuff against my favorite recordings nearly always makes me depressed lol! Backing up to the bigger picture – does the end result avoid sounding “cheap” and allow us to share our music without the listener stopping and being distracted by the recording? I think through that lens, mission accomplished. On a casual listen, through laptop speakers (which is all I’ve done), this sounds pro.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think casual listener won’t care much about the tone and mix, but myself I can hear some nasty frequencies that I usually associate with too much gain, only this time I used barely enough.
Quad tracking has it’s place, but maybe not necessarily in tracks requiring very thight playing.
And this is essentially 8 tracks playing mostly the same stuff, so any errors in timing will wash the guitars out.

Thanks, by the time I was shooting the video (I do video separately from actual guitar tracks) I was struggling so much :upside_down_face: especially with this short downpicking motion somewhere around 2:00.
But yeah, tremolo itself was much easier than I expected it to be, given it is supposed to be at around 98 BPM 32nd notes, so 196 BPM 16th notes - significantly faster than I ever could - but to be honest I am not so sure if I follow this subdivision precisely this time.

I think anytime quad tracking is used commercially it is often both grid snapped, and used so that there are various timbres of the instrument tracked, it’s not just the same tone 4 times.

Most of the older albums never really did either though, this is all somewhat newer practice (25-30years)

1 Like

Well, to be fair the lead guitar is using a different preset than the rythm, also I used different IRs on all four pairs.
I still find the tone atrocious though, I know I could do better judging by my previous covers. This one is muddy and has something nasty in it, even though I used NDSP Gojira it doesn’t sound even close to their tone.

I’ll try to do better next time, they have a lot of challenging songs to play.

I’m fairly satisfied with my performance though.