Good view of EVH tremolo picking

Here’s a clip of one of Edward’s guitar solo segments that has some good camera angles, particularly during the “Little Guitars (intro)” part in the very beginning…a VERY good view of that “hummingbird” motion, the grip and that pronounced angle…

I just posted this for anyone who is interested, but as I’m typing this I thought I’d ask…what would this pick slant be called? Upward?

2 Likes

So awesome!

Definitely downward. When Troy talks about slants it’s always the base of the pick he means, not the tip. So when the player supinates and we see the palm turn slightly towards the ceiling, the base of the pick goes down and we say downward picklanting.

2 Likes

Thanks so much Joe! Yes, that is my understanding…I’ve been a naughty boy and I haven’t done my homework and I wanted to be sure I understood it right-that’s a perfect description…thanks very much indeed!

1 Like

Do you know what pick he might be using here?

1 Like

D’Andrea/Fender Thin. Though he experimented with different materials (including the metal picks that he claimed gave him oral cancer) and different gauges, he essentially used brown faux tortoise celluloid Fender Mediums from 1977-1983 and D’Andrea/Fender Thin plastic picks from 1984 through 1999. He then started using MaxGrip grey Thin picks and vacillated between those and his then usual normal Thin picks.

2 Likes