GoPro on Steve Vai in 2014

There may not be any new revelations here, but still kind of cool. Too bad it’s not from a more magnet-ish angle, and has that goofy GoPro fisheye distortion:

7 Likes

Vai and Guthrie Govan are masters of that whiplash-strumming technique. I still haven’t quite figure out how they do that, but it’s a technique I’d love to add to the arsenal.

Thanks for posting!

Great video, thanks for sharing! So Steve is using mostly DWPS :slight_smile:

really helps playing those fast strums by keeping your wrist lose, and bent at an extreme DWPS angle.

Yeah I noticed that both Vai and Govan use that “extreme dwps” posture. However I don’t understand how the pick does not get stuck on the upstroke: how can one hit multiple strings against the pickslant?

I don’t think they’re actually “using DWPS” for this. I suspect that what happens is that the extreme angle of the wrist means that you get UWPS on the upstroke and DWPS on the downstroke.

1 Like

Guthrie has got a video were he demonstrates the technique. What I took from it, is its all about keeping the wrist relaxed. Start with 8th notes and doubling it up every through beats and release pressure on the chord if holding one, to get the funk groove. Permanently fretting the chord distorts the effect. Plus he only aims to hit 3 to 4 strings. Shortens the distance you need to cover and keeps the effect.
Steve vai looks like he’s spread across all six. Not surprising what he has, he has mastered.
I hope this helps.

Yeah, I’ve seen that video and (like your description) it’s the best explanation I’ve seen out there. I just haven’t translated that into what it actually feels like. With enough practice and experimentation hopefully I’ll trip across that a-ha moment where it clicks.

man, I remember that video from when it first came out. So cool, lol.

I’m not a massive fan of Vai’s playing. IMO, it normally looks better than it sounds because his right hand tends to be a bit lazy/laggy, and that he’s only synchronized because of countless hours practice. But in this vid, he’s right hand is rhythmically spot on and consequently everything flows and his playing sounds gorgeous. And it’s reflected in his body language and the absence of the usual repertoire of daft posing. It proves that everything starts with the right hand.