GP8's interpretation of a repeat sign in the middle of a measure

A quick sanity check: I loaded a mxl file into GP8 and it split what should be one measure, 9, into two measures (9 and 10), and drew them in red because they’re 1/4 and not 2/4. Then, upon playback, it inserts quarter-note rests to make them 2/4! So, this is a bug, right? I’m just concerned because zillions of people should have seen this, I can’t be the first. Or am I somehow mistaken? (Logic Pro seems to do the same numbering, but then I checked the PDF of the score, and it is what I expect, see here.)

I use GP a fair amount, and would fix that up by putting the start repeat in measure 1, add the 16th notes to measure 8 so it’s E BAG#A and turn that into ending 1, add an E quarter note at the beginning of measure 9 and make that ending 2. Do those things and it will play back correctly. Otherwise, I am not sure how to make it recognize those incomplete measures.

1 Like

You are right, they obviously only support repeats placed between measures, and I should just do that and be happy! The only downside is that it will change the numbering, but that is fine. I’ll still file a bug report, however.

Anacrusis; pick-up measures. Perhaps you could insert one of those in there at that point?

1 Like

Thanks for the idea! The menus already have a check-box set next to anacrusis, but I couldn’t figure out how to delete what I have and insert replacements; I might try again later. But it is horrible for notation in places, so I might give up on it entirely and try something else. (I’m not sure just what yet.) Sibelius?

Musescore is in my opinion the best for writing standard notation, way easier than GP. The soundfonts are great( to my taste at least) and…its free!

You can also just change the time in that one measure at the end and make it 1/4, why not just do that and move on ? Aint that best looking think but who cares haha.

Maybe there is a free time setting that i can’t seem to find, but i would just change the time in that measure to 1/4 (and the next one) and that put it back to 2/4.

I would also just write in musescore cuz its much easier for standard notation. These days I only right in GP bcz i only write for guitar but musescore its lovely. Strongly reccomend it

edit:
try File->preferences->Score errors–> invalid bar length and change it. Or maybe other settings in the error options might fix it.

1 Like