Greetings from Idaho

Howdy

My name’s Scott, I go by Scotty.

I started playing guitar in 1985, and got a real guitar in 86 which I still have. I’ve played and practiced for many many years, worked in a music store for 15 years, been in various bands etc. I quit playing for almost 10 years after developing cubital tunnel syndrome (like carpal tunnel) and I’ve recently picked up the instrument again after a long healing process. It wasn’t the only reason I quit, much like described in the cracking the code videos I hit a wall with my technique and couldn’t develop beyond a certain point. I grew stagnant and bored and had many other things going on in my life that made it unpractical for a long time. That said I’ve started a new journey, I originally found Rick Beato’s channel because I am taking theory lessons again from my original teacher and dear friend who teaches at a community college. I then stumbled on Ben Ellers channel, and through him I found your channel. I am also largely self taught. I’ve been told I have good ears and I used to figure out songs from all my favorite bands and guitarists by ear except for the more complex solos without anything but my tape deck. Let me split up this wall of text…

I’m hugely interested in learning many of the techniques will bouncing and slanted picking among other things. I had started to develop these techniques on my own for years, but people always tried to get me to stop doing them as it wasn’t “correct” technique… So yeah that’s where I’m at, I’m a skilled player but I’ve only been playing again for about 2 months now so I’m still really rusty in many respects and my fingers are still getting their stamina back. I did learn what I was doing wrong and how to warm up and stretch properly so I don’t injure myself again.

I love talking about guitars, gear, amps, making pedals and modding amps (I made a living doing that). I’m interested in a broad range of music, mostly rock, 70s & 80s metal, jazz-rock, progressive rock, with interests in classical, Indian music, jazz, blues, 40s and 50s pop like Les Paul & Mary Ford, and a gamut of other stuff.

Anywho, that’s a wall of text. I’m excited and full of passion for music and my instrument again and this seems like a nice place to talk about stuff and learn things.

Cheers

1 Like