Greetings from Laguna Beach

My name is Jason Wolverton. I’m a luthier/guitarist specializing in classical guitars. I studied music composition in college, and classical guitar is my instrument. In 2002 I developed an interest in lutherie and traveled to Spain to study with Jose Romanillos. Since my mid-twenties I’ve been primarily a fingers only guitarist. Unlike many full-time luthiers, I spend a lot of time playing guitar and am always looking for ways to improve my technique. My main interest musically is a hybrid of classical guitar technique, flamenco, and bossa nova. I’ve had brief fixations with Gipsy jazz, and have tried to incorporate some of those elements into a finger style technique on nylon string guitars.

Since I was a teenager in the 80’s, my early rock influences were guitarists like Warren DeMartini, George Lynch, Randy Roads, Jake E Lee, SRV, etc… I remember buying many Wolf Marshall cassette tapes and attempting to learn some rock god flash. Sadly, my picking speed never got very good, and I can totally relate to the “pick getting stuck in between the strings” issue.
I love the intellectual dissection of picking technique described by Troy Grady. Cracking the Code is definitely a ground breaking educational tool for guitarists. My goals are to finally be able to use a pick with some speed, fluidity, and dexterity. I’ve dusted off the Tele, and am pretty excited.

4 Likes

Beautiful stuff on your web site man. I can’t imagine the work it takes to do that. Thankfully, picking technique is much simpler - I’m sure you’ll do fine. Thanks for stopping by!

3 Likes