Greetings from Minnesota!

Hey All, my name is Bryan. I used to play a lot of guitar in my teens but life happened and I put it away for about 25 years or so. I picked it up again casually about 8 years ago, but lately I’ve been a lot more serious about playing and I really want to take it to the next level. I consider myself to be advanced intermediate in terms of music education but advanced beginner in terms of playing. I watched the Cracking the Code web series a couple years back and was totally intrigued by all the research Troy had done. I wish I had this information when I started playing in the 80’s :slight_smile:. I finally bit the bullet and joined the actual site, and I’ve already gotten through a good portion of the Pickslanting Primer (reading the various motion content now… this stuff is great!). Go me!

Probably the biggest challenge I have is breaking my barrier of 105-110bpm for basic scale runs. This is literally the point at which my technique changes. 3nps scales suffer the most (as expected), but even 2nps pentatonics and 4nps chromatics also seem to get sloppier. I can pick around 180bpm sixteeth notes by themselves, and I can play legato comfortably at around 150 (single string), but putting the 2 hands together always goes south. I’m always chasing the tempo. I really believe it’s my technique because my picking hand always goes wild, like I’m overcompensating for the speed. Psychological or not, it’s been my bane for a while now. I can’t keep control of my pick, either. As soon as I get comfortable picking it always rotates out of position. I know that some movement is normal, but this seem extreme. I feel like I’m going to drop the thing.

Great to meet you all, looking forward to getting better!