Greetings from Texas

I’m a guitar player. Surprise! I watched the “Cracking the Code” series, in order, and it was very entertaining. I got some “heavy rock history” from Troy’s story, a nice overview. You must understand, Deep Purple was the heaviest rock I ever listened to, and I bought the first Black Sabbath album (when it came out on vinyl) and stopped there. So to get this rock history from a younger person’s perspective was helpful. I even bought some Ozzy solo albums after this!
I’m still trying to improve my guitar skills. I was really impressed by Troy’s work on Eric Johnson. I used to go see Eric play in Austin back in 1974-1978, when the Electromagnets were together, then he went solo. I thought I was pretty good until I saw him. Believe me, he was always that good.
I think this is really important work that Troy Grady is doing. The electric guitar is still in development, and in its history, precise explanations of the plectrum technique have been absent, and so have precise left-hand fingering indications.
I’ve settled on a Roland GP-100 as my amp, through various cabinets. I use a Behringer MIDI switcher with it. I have 2 4x12 Marshall-type boxes, and some 2x12 and 1x12 cabinets for any combination or situation. I like Strats & Teles, and some of the modern electrics too. I use an Ibanez Artcore to play jazz. Most of my stuff came from pawn shops, and will probably end-up there. I play some piano, on a Yamaha P-90. I have this all set up with synth modules in my studio room, and record using Logic.
I started out playing “hard rock” (called “classic rock” now), back in 1970. We did songs by Free, Foghat, The Beatles, Savoy Brown, Spirit, The Who, The Stones, The Byrds, and more. Then I played country for about six years. Then I quit playing country, and went to blues exclusively. I became a “weekend warrior” and played only blues after that. Then I worked in a wind chime factory for 12 years. Now I concentrate on trying to play jazz, and improvising jazz, and recording songs and experimenting. I like music theory and jazz theory, and have a lot of books on these subjects. I used to do visual art, but I stopped.
I’m not playing professionally at this time, and probably won’t. I listen to a lot of music on CD, on a home stereo system. I like cigars. I do not drink or use drugs at all. I like to cook. I drive a Ford F-150 pickup. I like crawfish etouffé and cajun food.

2 Likes

Welcome. You forgot the most important part…you’re from Tejas! I lived in the DFW area for many years before relocating to the other side of the world. This is a great resource and community. Enjoy!

1 Like

Awesome. I’m in Midland

1 Like